Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Mojave freezing after wake from sleep

Hi, after upgrade to Mac OS Mojave in my MacBookPro 2017 (with TouchBar) and my iMac 5k 2017 they froze after wake if they're sleeping.

This happen if the Mac sleep for a while, overnight for example, and delays a few seconds to unfreeze and be possible to operate.

During this freezing time, the spinning colored ball stay frozen in the screen, and is not possible to anything until it unfreeze.

In the iMac I change the configurarion to doesn't put hard drives in sleep mode in the screen is off, and solve the problem, but this raises my porwer consumption and shrink the lifetime of the computer.

In the MacBookPro I cannot do this change, due to the mobile nature of it.

Any of you have ever experinced this problem?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 11:42 AM

Here's what Apple has to say:

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support

But Sleep related issues are some of hardest to troubleshoot. They can arise out of nowhere and nothing shows on any type of scan or disk utility.

Similar questions

20 replies

Oct 30, 2018 6:03 AM in response to hardmod

Macs do not get viruses, so the anti-virus folks are selling a cure for a disease that doesn't exist. Viruses are self replicating malware of which there have been zero, none since the inception of Mac OS.

There are other forms of malware, like adware and browser redirects which are becoming more common but if you're relatively careful you won't get them. Here's a more in-depth look at security on your Mac.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Oct 3, 2018 10:57 AM in response to gmarruda

FWIW, I gave up on the Sleep function years ago for my iMac. Ever since the inception of OS X there have been Sleep related issues. And even more lately. I just use Display Sleep and keep it set for 15 minutes so I'm not burning the screen. That way your Mac uses very little power over Sleep and is ready to use at the touch of a key without any grogginess. UNIX based systems were made to be always on and they’ve been running busy servers 24/7 for decades.

I'm running a mid 2010 iMac. It's as good as it was when new, and it's never had a wink of Sleep.

Oct 4, 2018 10:36 AM in response to hardmod

I never had this issue with High Sierra but when it first happened on Mojave I thought my mouse had either given up the ghost or was somehow not working with Mojave. (It's a 3rd party wired mouse as wireless mice, whether connecting by bluetooth or a dongle, don't suit me, especially Apple's Magic Mouse, which is the 'wrong' shape and size.)
I did wonder if it might be when the Mac is downloading and installing updates automatically but I have most of that, apart from security updates, set for notification rather than installation.

Oct 25, 2018 9:19 AM in response to gmarruda

I've now had this happen twice on my 2017 MacBook Pro (touch bar), but it hasn't yet happened on my 2015 MacBook Pro, and I updated the older one a few days before the newer one.

Both times, I've had to hold the power button to manually force it down and back up. It takes MUCH longer than normal to reboot in these instances, seemingly freezing around 75%, but eventually completing and telling me my computer was shut down because of a problem.

In anyone else's experience, will it eventually unfreeze if I just leave it be? Generally speaking, I need to actually use my laptop if I've opened it, so waiting 30 minutes or something crazy isn't a sustainable option. 😉

Oct 30, 2018 3:44 AM in response to gmarruda

Same issue as described - Early 2015 MacBook Pro system froze with still colored ball for close to a minute after wake up. I had upgraded my iMac to Mojave at the same time and it was working fine. The only obvious difference was that the iMac had Bitdefender antivirus and the MacBook Pro had Kaspersky. I uninstalled Kaspersky antivirus (current version on October 27) and installed Bitdefender to the MacBook Pro and have not experienced the problem since.

Oct 30, 2018 4:17 AM in response to RNMIJ

I too have Kaspersky installed on my Mac Mini. I did wonder if it was something to do with that and a couple of times it's coincided with the database being updated but other times not. I can live with it as it's only happening when I wake it from sleep and then not for very long and not every time.
My Kaspersky subscription has nearly 7 months left, so I won't be ditching it for a while, if at all (used to get it free from my bank and they dropped it before my last renewal date, but I did get a good discount so stayed with it).

Oct 30, 2018 5:52 AM in response to Sybil Ann Chick

The anti-virus junk may be the cause. Even if it isn't, it can cause lots of other issues. Uninstall it as per the developer's instructions. No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system.

Oct 30, 2018 6:01 AM in response to macjack

This is so incredibly wrong and it drives me mad that this "Mac does not need Antivirus" crap is still around in 2018.

I work as a System Engineer for 10+ years, currently in a company with about 150 Macbooks, and I saw heavily infected machines doing extrem harm cause of a missing AV.
Please show me the source of an Apple Engineer stating this.

Oct 30, 2018 9:31 AM in response to macjack

Really? I used to use Norton many years ago and have found Kaspersky considerably better and not at all intrusive. (I used free security programs for several years between Norton and being offered Kaspersky but found them a bit clunky and they required more user initiaton.)
The bank that issued me and their other customers with Kaspersky does appear to have an online team that knows about Macs as its Online Banking site has always worked well for me. I joined in 2000 when I got my first Mac and never had problems other than those that affected other customers irrespective of the operating system and browser they were using.

Nov 13, 2018 10:58 PM in response to gmarruda

I also have the same behavior right after the update to Mojave on my late 2015 iMac 27" , My Macbook pro is from 2011 and is not on the compatibility list and that one still works fine after waking up from sleep. When the iMac wakes up the colors of my previously opened windows etc are totally inverted and it takes more than a minute , then the ball appears and then screen turns black for a few seconds and then all looks ok agai, but it still is not responding to tocuh / keyboard for another few seconds. That has nothing to do with any Antivirus in my opinion but more likely with the graphic updates etc. (black scheme etc.) Something is definitely buggy. It really ***** with the long time it needs to come back to normal. It worked fine with all the previous MacOS Versions in the past years.

Mac OS Mojave freezing after wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.