Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics Card shortage for G5 Dual 2.0 GHz?

This is more a comment maybe out of frustration than anything. Sorry. I have a G5 Tower Dual 2.0 GHz with ATI 9800 Pro w/128 Ram. 1.5 Meg of memory.

Been a Apple/Mac supporter for over 20+ years. If anyone has any suggestions as you read on, please let me know.

I bought my G5 in late 2004 so it has operated excellently for a number of years. Of course, my Applecare expired a couple of months ago and now a week ago, it appears that my orginal graphics card has gone out. After about 2 or 3 minutes from bootup, the screen begins filling up with artifacts. You can still see the desktop, but it is pretty messed up.

The original graphics card was an ATI 9800 Pro with 128 meg of ram. I contacted an Apple service center in Kansas and was told that they can get me the original card but it would cost me $600. What's with that price? Plus it would be on backorder for an unknown lenghth of time.

Or, I can get an ATI X800XT which is supposed to be about 2X the video for $300. A no brainer. I ordered it. Except, same thing, on backorder until the end of February 2007. I was told that these (2) graphics cards are the only ones that will work in my G5.

In any case, my computer will be down for nearly 3 weeks while I wait on this video card. Not a pleasant situation. I went on line looking for some place that I could maybe get a ATI X800XT sooner. No luck. Each place I went says "On Order".

So here my computer is dead in the water for 3 to 4 weeks. Thanks for any help.

G5 Dual 2.0GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 15, 2007 2:50 PM

5 replies

Feb 15, 2007 3:13 PM in response to awarlock

Hi

I could be wrong, but I believe the shortage may be related to RoHS, the Restriction of Hazardous Substances directive. It was adopted by the European Union in 2003 to restrict the usage of lead, mercury, cadmium and other substances. I believe ATI may have just started manufacturing graphics cards which now conform to this directive, but there's been a shortage between the old stock being sold off and the new stock being introduced. Unfortunately this doesn't help, but may explain what's happening.

Graphics Card shortage for G5 Dual 2.0 GHz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.