Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i delete the apple news app in mojave?

Since updating to Mojave, I've received annoying, loud alerts from Apple News every time I log in. Finally fed up, I decided to delete the app, but found that Apple now considers this app "necessary."

I've turned off all notifications from News, but I'd really like to delete this useless app. Any suggestions?

macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 11:22 AM

I had the same problem Stephen. Unfortunately, as Stewart said there isn't a way to delete this app but if you go to System Preferences > Notifications, you can adjust alert styles as well as where or how the notifications appear for all of your apps. To do this click on the app you want to change (in this case News) and choose the 'None' style and uncheck all 5 of the other settings. That should take care of it! To 'delete' it, if the app appears in you dock simply right click, Options > Remove from Dock. Out of sight out of mind! You can even set a "Do Not Disturb" and set it to a 24-hour cycle if you want to do away with notifications all together. I really hope this helps!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2018 11:22 AM in response to Stephen Pennington

I had the same problem Stephen. Unfortunately, as Stewart said there isn't a way to delete this app but if you go to System Preferences > Notifications, you can adjust alert styles as well as where or how the notifications appear for all of your apps. To do this click on the app you want to change (in this case News) and choose the 'None' style and uncheck all 5 of the other settings. That should take care of it! To 'delete' it, if the app appears in you dock simply right click, Options > Remove from Dock. Out of sight out of mind! You can even set a "Do Not Disturb" and set it to a 24-hour cycle if you want to do away with notifications all together. I really hope this helps!

Nov 24, 2018 6:11 PM in response to Stephen Pennington

It looks a though the Apple "News" app is in fact a tracking device - my anti-tracking Blocker is going nuts. Also several of the news Bookmarks in Firefox now have the Apple News logo, suggesting they they have been filtered with "News" - possibly to track online reading:

User uploaded file

Turning off all notifications does not stop the attachment of the logo to bookmarks, so I guess that while notifications are turned off, tracking can still happen. I can only hope that tracking by "News" is blocked when Firefox blocking is turned on in Preferences. I all seems a bit paranoid but the evidence seems pretty clear: Apple wants to track internet searches and news reading.

Nov 4, 2018 1:55 PM in response to Fongtastic

Sadly, someone has decided that every slappy link someone texts me in iMessage now needs to open in the News app, and I prefer using the browser. There seems to be no option to set the default app for links to open in. After a few amazing things in Mojave, I now regret updating to this OS because I have lost control of how I wish to use my own computer. Nothing infuriates me more. Hopefully one of you gurus knows the magic button to set things right.

For clarity, notifications are not the problem. It's the app, in general. Don't care to use it.

how do i delete the apple news app in mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.