Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Spell Check False Flags

MacOS Mojave (10.14) is flagging grammar issues in its spell check routine. I wouldn't mind this if the information was correct, but it's not. It's tagging words like "it's" and "here" as incorrect, though they are entirely correct in their usage.

Yes, I've checked all my apps to make sure "grammar" is unchecked as an option. I've checked System Preferences/Keyboard/Text options to make sure I'm using local language instead of Auto. Everything is as it should be. I can only assume this is a bug.

This is annoying because I'm a writer and the global OS is flagging things it shouldn't. Spell check exists to check for typos, and grammar checking should be strictly under Grammar settings. They should remain separate.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 10:02 AM

I'm seeing this intermittently in both Messages and Nisus Writer Pro. In Messages, at least, with grammar checking explicitly disabled. (If NWP has a setting for that I'm not sure where it is.)

User uploaded file

(note “too” underlined)

User uploaded file

I suspect this is related to the idiotic way iOS likes to make corrections like “were” to “we’re”—which I always figured was some kind of machine learning gone wrong. I could live with this kind of buggy spellcheck in Messages, but to have it happening in a word processor is annoying AF.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2018 10:02 AM in response to Mike Mcclure

I'm seeing this intermittently in both Messages and Nisus Writer Pro. In Messages, at least, with grammar checking explicitly disabled. (If NWP has a setting for that I'm not sure where it is.)

User uploaded file

(note “too” underlined)

User uploaded file

I suspect this is related to the idiotic way iOS likes to make corrections like “were” to “we’re”—which I always figured was some kind of machine learning gone wrong. I could live with this kind of buggy spellcheck in Messages, but to have it happening in a word processor is annoying AF.

Nov 1, 2018 10:26 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi Dialabrain,

I've been using word processors for more than thirty years and am well aware of the limitations (which is why I never use a grammar checker), but flagging a correctly spelled and extremely common word as incorrect, (or correcting one correctly spelled, extremely common word to another, as with iOS “we’re/were”) is simply a bug. (I've also been a professional programmer for more than twenty years.)

I believe NWP has its own spell checker, but it also makes heavy use of macOS native operating system services, much more so than cross-platform apps like Word or Firefox (or even most macOS apps). I've never seen the issue before and would have chalked it up to the recent release of NWP 3.0, if I weren't also seeing it in Apple's apps.

Here's the same sentence in Notes, FWIW:

User uploaded file

Again, grammar checking is explicitly disabled:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Having seen the warning message, this really looks like a grammar check to me, not a spell check, which makes me think it’s a bug in the code that’s supposed to enable/disable the grammar checker based on that checkbox.

(Either that or Apple has decided to roll some set of grammar checks into the spell checker, in a non-disable-able way, but hasn't gotten around to removing the checkbox and/or the old grammar checker. Which would be seriously annoying and broken, but not out of character for Apple product design.)

Nov 4, 2018 6:52 AM in response to Mike Mcclure

I'm experiencing this issue too, since upgrading to macOS Mojave. I use Pages every day — with spelling but not grammar checking on — and started noticing words being flagged that weren't before upgrading. I found that 'correcting' the grammar by adding a comma after Temple Gardens made the highlight go. But if I delete the comma, the highlight doesn't come back. Seems pretty inconsistent to me. And I might want to flout the comma rules in certain places, so this shouldn't be a red flag like it's a definite mistake — very confusing and annoying.

User uploaded file

On top of that, when I run Spelling & Grammar, it suggests changing it's to its, which is definitely incorrect. And when I change it obviously it underlines it red again. So that just feels like a bug:

User uploaded file

At the very least grammar issues should be highlighted in a colour other than red, which makes them look like spelling mistakes. And if the suggestion is adding a comma, then the highlight should be on the space between the words, not the following word itself.

Jan 8, 2019 2:31 PM in response to Ian Gribbin

It's not just "tricky" grammatical quirks, it's a lot of flagrant mistakes. Which leads me to believe this is not an issue of poor grammar, but a significant bug in the grammar checker itself. The fact that it all of a sudden turned itself on, is visually the same as the spelling checker, and can't be turned off, suggests that this is a silly regression bug, not a silly grammar checker.

Bloody annoying though, particularly when it feels like macos is falling victim to the frustrations of iOS. I use a computer instead of a phone to type for many good reasons, some of which are evaporating for no good (end user) reason!

This screenshot is from Mail - the checker thinks "of" should be "off". Funny that I did actually make a mistake (there should be a "be" after "will") but am distracted by a non-mistake.

Nov 8, 2018 9:44 PM in response to chronodm

I have seen this same behavior since upgrading to Mojave in both Scrivener and Pages. Like you, I turn off all grammar checkers in all apps, but I'm still seeing it. Besides "to" and "too," it has also flagged "of" (suggesting "off") when the word is correct.

It isn't the worst problem, but it is very annoying. I have also submitted feedback to Apple.

Nov 11, 2018 5:13 AM in response to Mike Mcclure

I'm also having this problem across a range of software – Evernote and Scrivener being my most commonly used. Maddening whilst trying to write my PhD thesis. I assumed the same thing regarding iOS autocorrect, as this is exactly the sort of thing that happens on my phone. But when doing serious writing it's a real distraction. I hope they sort this soon...

Nov 13, 2018 10:02 AM in response to VikingOSX

What's broken about it, as discussed up-thread, is that the preference to turn it off doesn't work, and as also discussed up-thread, I'm not using Pages, I'm using Nisus Writer. (And before you ask, yes, I have filed an issue with them as well -- if Scrivener can work around Apple's system text preferences bugs, Nisus should be able to as well.)

As for the grammar checking tool's ideas about commas, you can take them up with Hemingway, Cormac McCarthy, and e e cummings.

Dec 22, 2018 9:10 AM in response to Mike Mcclure

I'm seeing the same problem with the word "by." It wants me to "correct" it to "buy," which is obviously not correct. All these issues started for me when I upgraded to Mojave. Very annoying.

And before anyone suggests it's an app thing, I've seen it in multiple, unrelated apps: Pages, Scrivener, Day One, etc. It is definitely part of the built in spell check. I also have disabled any grammar checking, so it shouldn't be suggesting alternates to words that are spelled correctly anyway. So frustrating.

Dec 26, 2018 10:13 PM in response to Mike Mcclure

I agree. Who ever programs the spell and grammar check has a had an appalling education. My father, prof of english and linguistics just retired, says he has seen university level education slip dramatically. Spelling, grammar and punctuation is abysmal from the way it was 20 or more years ago.

Clearly these losers find their way in to big tech to the point where writing ‘didn’t’ brings up a red flag!

The thing is it can’t just be one person. It must be an entire team tasked with maintaining the integrity of the system. Which leaves you asking massive questions about Apple’s hiring policies as well the erosion of well written and spoken English in society.

Mojave Spell Check False Flags

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.