Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flashes to black for 1s or more

I'm running Mac OS 10.14 on a late 2013 Mac Pro, with an UltraFine 27" display.

The screen turns black (out) for a sec or more, maybe 2-3s sometimes, constantly at irregular intervals. It does the same thing as if I was changing the resolution, except I'm not. Super annoying!

I've rebooted and emptied the PRAM, I've reset the SMC by shutting down, unplugging the power cord for 15s or more, etc...

I know I had this exact same problem with the Apple Cinema Display when the Sys Pref was set to auto-brightness, but that option is not available anymore.

Any ideas? Just a bug in Mojave's first release?

Thanks

Mac Pro (Late 2013), macOS Mojave (10.14), LG UltraFine 27" Display

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 2:31 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 5, 2018 4:01 PM in response to Craignos

Hi ​Craignos,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're seeing an issue with your screen blanking for a few seconds at a time, consistently, but at irregular intervals. I also see that you've reset the SMC and PRAM on your Mac. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. Based on the steps you've tried so far, I'd recommend that you use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Take some time to test for the behavior in safe mode and if it seems to be resolved, restart your Mac normally and test again. If the issue persists in safe mode, use the steps below to test for the behavior in a new user:

Use another account for testing

If another user account is already set up on your Mac, you can simply log out of your account (Apple menu > Log Out) and log in with the other account. But the best way to test is with a newly created account:

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Click User uploaded file, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

If you plan to test with any of the documents in your own account, make those documents available to the new account. Drag them to the Shared folder of the Users folder on your hard drive (~/Users/Shared). You can then move them to other folders after you log in as the new user.

Then log out of your account and log in with the new account:

1. Choose Apple menu > Log out.
  2. At the login window, log in with the name and password of the new account. If you're also asked to sign in with an iCloud account or Apple ID, skip that step.

Now try to reproduce the issue in the new account. If you need to set up an email account or other account in order to test, you can do so.

If the issue doesn't happen in the other account

If the issue doesn't happen in the new user account, the issue is related to the settings or files in your own account.

If you need help with a specific alert or issue, search the Apple Support website for the text of the alert. If the issue happens in only one app in your account, it might be related to one of that app's settings. Check the app's documentation or support website for help.

You can remove the new user account when you're done testing. Follow the steps for creating a new account, but click the Remove button (–) instead of the Add button (+). Before removing the account, make sure that you don't need any of the files or settings you created or copied in that account.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Lastly, you can use the steps here to run Apple Diagnostics to see if there are any other issues at play: How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Oct 6, 2018 8:26 AM in response to MoonJ.

Here's an other find: after the downgrade back to Mac OS High Sierra, with a fresh start to that system (no Time Machine backup recover of preferences, etc), my screen flashes again to black! AND: after the first flash, the brightness control isn't working in the system prefs, or through the keyboard input.

Note: I ran a diagnostic and I do not have any hardware issues, but I run my resolution as this (even though I have tried the default resolution) it makes no difference:

User uploaded file

The brightness control works again AFTER I unplug and plug the LG UltraFine display to the Mac Pro (late 2013). No other device is plugged to the same bus on the thunderbolt ports. Having the display on other ports or buses doesn't fix the black flash.

Oct 5, 2018 4:20 PM in response to MoonJ.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, it comes a tad late as I reverted to High Sierra. I also got frustrated in Adobe Lightroom CC as it was way more slow than in High Sierra. So even if I had resolved that flashing screen issue, it was slowing down my work as well!

All these advices are great though, and I appreciate the follow up. Once all the software developers are on the same page, I'll upgrade again!

Cheers

Screen flashes to black for 1s or more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.