Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone could not be synced because sync session failed to start

That is the error I see every time I attempt to sync my iPhone 6S after updating to iOS 12. I have tried everything I can possibly do but to no avail including the following:

-Reinstalled iTunes multiple times

-Tried installed iTunes from the Microsoft store

-Rebooting device and PC

-Factory Resetting iPhone and then restoring from backup

-Cleared sync history in iTunes and deleted previous backups

-Tried new cable and different USB port

This issue only occurred after updating my iPhone to iOS 12. Any help would be appreciated! I'm not at all sure where to go from here.

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 10:16 PM

Yes factory resetting my phone without loading any backup from iTunes fixed it. Whatever was corrupting my phone making it unable to sync seems to have been from that backup. After factory resetting my phone I did load my iCloud stuff which didn’t cause any harm, but I had to reinstall all my apps and set everything else as if it were a new phone.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2018 10:16 PM in response to Renegade5

Yes factory resetting my phone without loading any backup from iTunes fixed it. Whatever was corrupting my phone making it unable to sync seems to have been from that backup. After factory resetting my phone I did load my iCloud stuff which didn’t cause any harm, but I had to reinstall all my apps and set everything else as if it were a new phone.

Nov 28, 2018 4:11 AM in response to 2muchrubik

I have the same issue with an iPhone 6SE, sync stopped working after I "upgraded" iOS. I tried everything you tried (upgrade iOS/iTunes, cables etc.) save for the factory reset. I don't know why this is marked "solved when clearly it's an issue with iOS12+ that should be solved by Apple, forcing users to factory reset is just poor treatment of customers.

Dec 23, 2018 7:39 AM in response to superweh

Well mister bought a XS256Gb, as my IPhone6_64 was out of memory, slow, battery changed, .... The salesman said do a sync of your IPhone 6 and then restore it on the new one. Well it doesn't want to sync, and I have wasted 2h30 fiddling with updating the phone to 12, and the iTunes, and this and that ... and it doesn't work. I saw solved and as "superweh", says where is the after sales assistance, I'm not going back to factory settings. Again one spends money for poor quality products, both HW and SW, lucky Apple is not in Aircraft SW or nuclear power otherwise all planes would be grounded, and we would be dying from radiation.

iPhone could not be synced because sync session failed to start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.