Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAID 10 on MacPro 5,1 (2012)

My Mac has 4 internal bays for disk drives. I would like to setup four drives in RAID 10, where two drives are stripped and two other drives are set to mirror the stripped drives.

I have found plenty of instructions on how to do this, but none of them mention how to get a fifth drive running with the system. My perception is in addition to the four drives constituting the RAID system, another drive is needed to run the OS and to support the four RAIDed drives.

Can you confirm or correct my perception of the need for a 5th drive? If a fifth drive is needed, can I use a PCI-card based SSD drive?

Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Dual 6-core 3.3GHz Xeon 64GBRam

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 4:16 PM

The Mac can create in software RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 and JBOD - Just A Bunch of Disks.

The Mac can then install on any of these types of RAID a bootable operating system. As the boot operating system is on - in your case the 4 disk RAID10 no extra disk is needed.

What you do need temporarily is a 'fifth' drive to boot from whilst you create the RAID10 and from which you then install the operating system on to the RAID10. The other possible reason for having a fifth drive is to act as a spare incase one of the four live ones develops a problem.

It is not impossible but in general Apple's tools make it hard to divide the software RAID in to more than one volume, so you would have the operating system and any data all on the single RAID10 'volume'.

This may be helpful - How to manage RAID volumes in macOS Sierra: An advanced guide - TechRepublic

Software RAID is regarded as slower and less reliable than hardware RAID. As always ensure you have backups.

There used to be an official Apple hardware RAID controller for the Mac Pro. In theory you can use a PCIe SATA RAID controller although connecting the drives to that card can be complex. See - http://thehouseofmoth.com/2009-apple-raid-pci-card/

WARNING: Different model Mac Pro's use different model Apple RAID cards. I believe the 2009 and 2010/12 should all use the same one.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2018 4:16 PM in response to danallenhouston

The Mac can create in software RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 and JBOD - Just A Bunch of Disks.

The Mac can then install on any of these types of RAID a bootable operating system. As the boot operating system is on - in your case the 4 disk RAID10 no extra disk is needed.

What you do need temporarily is a 'fifth' drive to boot from whilst you create the RAID10 and from which you then install the operating system on to the RAID10. The other possible reason for having a fifth drive is to act as a spare incase one of the four live ones develops a problem.

It is not impossible but in general Apple's tools make it hard to divide the software RAID in to more than one volume, so you would have the operating system and any data all on the single RAID10 'volume'.

This may be helpful - How to manage RAID volumes in macOS Sierra: An advanced guide - TechRepublic

Software RAID is regarded as slower and less reliable than hardware RAID. As always ensure you have backups.

There used to be an official Apple hardware RAID controller for the Mac Pro. In theory you can use a PCIe SATA RAID controller although connecting the drives to that card can be complex. See - http://thehouseofmoth.com/2009-apple-raid-pci-card/

WARNING: Different model Mac Pro's use different model Apple RAID cards. I believe the 2009 and 2010/12 should all use the same one.

Oct 7, 2018 4:51 AM in response to danallenhouston

The Mac has always been able to boot from any appropriate drive, Internal or external.

A PCI-e based SSD is a good, fast solution, but has some complexity to get it working. NVME drives may be extremely difficult on that Mac.

In my opinion, the extra added complexity of putting the boot drive on the RAID is not worth the effort.

For anything except RAID 5 (or similar RAIDs that compute checksums coming and going) the RAID card is not an asset, and keeping it supplied with backup batteries has been a nightmare.

Oct 6, 2018 4:49 PM in response to John Lockwood

Hello John, I just recognized your name. You helped me out big time understanding Time machine.

This answer is very helpful. I think I see the picture with regard to the software RAID 10, and this answer pins down a lot of it for me, One thing I am curious about. I had been thinking the software RAID 10 provides a decent backup. I thought that is what the mirroring does. Two drives would have to fail for any data loss to occur. I am sure you know all that, so I am really looking for perspective and understanding of why this arrangement is not secure without additional backup.

I am unclear about PCI-connected system drive. I understand the explanation of the need for something other than the 4-drives going into the RAID array, at least for setting it up and keeping as a spare.

What I had in mind is Lycom DT-120 as a carrier for 500GB SAMSUNG SM951. The raid is for storage. My objectives are improve the speed of storage I am running (just a bunch of disks) and to simplify backups. For backups, I have bash scripts running rsync basically running a hacked sort of mirroring. I was thinking the software RAID 10 with four 8TB drives would be an efficient system for what I need. I was planning to keep the OS on the PCIe SSD rig. I also need to add usb 3.0 to this system, I was thinking that would involve a PCI slot, but not necessarily one of the 16-lane ones. I use this system for app development, the video is ok as-is, What I need is a ton of storage that is safe from loss.

What are the options for connecting drives beyond the four bay slots? I know of usb, but I have looked at that only for temporary drives. I guess to attach large external storage there various cases to buy with various kinds of connections. I am thinking on this system that most likely point to putting usb 3 on there and running that out to the external drives.

I have read the PCI setup with the devices I mentioned is a 5-minute breeze, but I do not warnings here lightly.

Oct 7, 2018 3:34 AM in response to danallenhouston

RAID is not a backup, it merely protects you against a drive failure or provide a speed increase or allows creating a bigger volume or a mixture of these. You should still ensure you have a proper backup as well to a different drive.

The classic Mac Pro can only use NVMe drives as data drives and not boot drives. You can use an AHCI SSD drive as a boot drive and this is much faster than even a SATA SSD drive. AHCI drives are getting harder to find especial from Samsung.

Yes to add USB3 or even USB3.1 you use a card and it only uses 4 lanes (so does the DT-120). I use a Sonnet Tech USB card.

Both the DT-120 and a USB card are very easy to install.

Oct 10, 2018 2:06 PM in response to John Lockwood

A Samsung MZ-HPU512HCGL AHCI 512GB SSD ($220) and Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe To PCIe 3.0 X4 Adapter (Support M.2 PCIe 2280, 2260, 2242) ($20) are on the way to my house from vendors on ebay. My plan is to make that my new system drive, replacing a SANDISK 256 GB SSD.

Adding Sonnet Allegro USB Type-C 3.1 2-Port 10Gb PCIe Card ($60)

The next step is pulling out the four drives currently in the machine, replacing them with 4 x Seagate Barracuda ST8000DM004 8 TB 256M Cache 3.5" SATA 6GB/s Desktop Hard Drive ($168/drive x 4 = $672). Set those up with software RAID 10.

To reload the stuff that is on my drives now, I am going to use an external HDD enclosure with usb 3.1 to put everything back online. Enclosure about $30, still looking for 3.5" enclosure with usb 3.1

For backup, I am going to use an 8T drive that will be coming out of the machine when the new drives for the raid goes in. I'll use rsync to keep a copy of the raid volume. That will run every hour through one of the usb 3 ports.

Good plan?

RAID 10 on MacPro 5,1 (2012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.