Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MainStage 3.4 playback plugin jumps back to the start

Hi all, my MainStage App got auto-upgraded (not sure if I like that default) and now all my backing tracks that used to playback fine in each of the songs I had setup in my concert and jumping erratically (usually back to the start) during playback. This was working fine in the previous version, though sometimes there was a dropout or skip at the the very beginning. I'm guessing that it's some mis-firing of the "Jumping between markers in Playback" feature but am trying to figure out if I need to downgrade or if I can fix by maybe re-bouncing out the backing tracks from Logic Audio, or if there is some caching files that I could delete. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fergal

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 3:25 PM

37 replies

Nov 11, 2018 1:02 PM in response to fergalfromcork

Having these issues as well. I hope Apple realizes how this renders Mainstage completely unusable to this of us running backing tracks.

seems like finding and re-installing 3.3 is my only recourse.

it seems to occur, in my case anyway, with any kind of MIDI activity. In some cases, just ppressing keys on the keyboard causes playback to go back to the beginning, and in others, it's in switching patches while the track plays.

and of course, it's random.

Nov 11, 2018 4:30 PM in response to Blueberry

Actually, my computer automatically updated 3.4.1 yesterday ( which I didn't realize until this minute) and I was having these issues this morning as I was rehearsing for several upcoming gigs

So it appears that this latest update hasn't fixed the issue

incidentally, this happens randomly. I can't recreate it doing what causes it each time. It's a moving target, but most definitely happening enough to be unuseable in situations where backing tracks are employed

one note. .. I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet, hoping to not cause any issues with 3rd part plugins. I wonder if this is related in anyway

Nov 20, 2018 1:56 PM in response to Jim Frazier

Hello, I have the exact same problem with playback since I updated to 3.4.1 and it freaks me out, because I have a show on Thursday and none of my playback tracks play ok, they all jump the first second or so! How can I downgrade to 3.3.2? I can't seem to find an installer anywhere! Or maybe there is another solution to this problem?

Edit: I found a half solution, when I turn off sync or reimport the sample, playback behaves normally. BUT, unfortunately, if I save the concert and reopen it, playback jumps again for the first second, which means I have to redo this procedure again for all my Playback plugins for all the songs (and they're a lot of Playback instances!). So, I have to do this in the few minutes that I have for setup time during Thursday's show (it's a multi band festival, so there is no time...).

HELP please! How to find the 3.3.2 installer and downgrade??

Feb 11, 2019 5:49 AM in response to electrodaddy

Wow, that's terribly disappointing to read, as I had planned on trying this latest update again this week.

I find it incredibly frustrating that Apple is staying so quiet on this. I suppose it's not enough of an issue in the big picture of iPhones and Apple music...

electro daddy, what OS are you running currently? And what year/model of computer are you using? Maybe we can trouble shoot some of this ourselves

Feb 11, 2019 6:17 AM in response to Jim Frazier

Until yesterday I was on Mojave with MS 3.4.2 running on a decent spec mid 2017 Macbook Pro. A 3 day rehearsal resulted in the rest of the band wanting to kill me. Ended back on my 2013 Macbook locked on El Capitan / MS 3.2. Has been flawless for 6 years. Someone kindly sent me 3.3.2. Created a new partition running High Sierra. Not had a chance to test it in anger but will next week when we have more rehearsals. I'll be happy if it works but I've probably changed too many factors to be able to pinpoint what is causing the issue. However it's certainly something that has come about since 3.4 and none of the subsequent bug fixes have helped. I've used many Macs with various versions of MS over the years and never had this issue before.

Feb 11, 2019 8:37 AM in response to electrodaddy

OK, well, that throws out the High Sierra/Mojave factor. I'm still on High Sierra, and when I went back to using MS 3.3.2, I got the consistent, reliable results I needed with the playback plugin.

I'm using MS on an older 2012 Macbook pro (with SSD drive) and outside of occasionally hitting the wall with the maxed out 16 gig of RAM, it's an extremely solid running system.

I wish more folks would weigh in on this. It renders 3.4 completely unusable when using the playback plug-in.

So if you're a MS user, and use backing tracks, keep a copy of 3.3 on your system. You WILL need it.

MainStage 3.4 playback plugin jumps back to the start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.