Related Article: Update your iPhone or iPad

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to download older versions of apps from App Store?

Running iOS 9.3.5 on an old (1st gen) iPad mini. Apparently there is no way to upgrade to newer software b/c the hardware is so old (thanks to McPhill for resolving that question). So... Is there any way to access older versions of apps for downloading from the App Store? Trying to install Spotify but it the current version available for download requires iOS 10 or above. Is there a Wayback Machine for apps?

Suggestions? Thanks.

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5, null

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 1:58 AM

3 replies

Oct 6, 2018 2:46 AM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for the detailed tip sheet. I confess I wasn't able to follow every branching of the IF this IF that... but in any case I'm not quite sure how the advice is relevant to my query. Your suggestions seem to be for how one can download (to a computer rather than an iDevice) an older version of iTunes (as well as how to install an alternative web browser), not how to download to the iDevice itself legacy versions of 3rd party apps. Or did I misunderstand?

Oct 6, 2018 10:50 AM in response to raphaelstockholm

Did I not make this very clear?

There is no longer a way to download DIRECTLY apps to an older device running an older iOS when the app has moved onto a newer iOS version.

The ONLY way to do this is to use either of the two procedures I have meticulously outlined and provided.

To be able to download an older version of an app to an older iPad, you either have to install the current version of an app first to a newer iDevice or download the current version of an app to iTunes on a computer.

Then you can go back to your older iPad and older iOS and then re-try downloading an older version of the app from the iOS App Store from your older iPad.

Only older versions of iTunes still support storing apps and iDevice screen page app layouts.

Newer versions of iTunes did away with iDevice app support.

So, you need to download and use an older of iTunes ( iTunes 12.6.5 or earlier ) so you can download current iOS Apps to iTunes, from the iOS App Store through iTunes, before you can attempt to download older versions of apps from your older iPad using the iOS App Store on that older iPad.

These two methods ARE THE ONLY WAY you are going to get older versions of apps onto your older iPad at this stage.

No other options.

These procedures work.

Carefully read and follow either procedure.

I put in the Web browser updating note as a courtesy to users still using older iPad models, running iOS 9 or earlier, to install and use a more current supported and up to date and more secure Web browser for their older iPads.

Good Luck to You!

Any way to download older versions of apps from App Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.