Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I send photos without an iCloud link?

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 7:35 AM

Just to clarify, there is no Drag and Drop on an iPhone.

See here for how send pictures in a Message from an iPhone: Send photo, video, or audio messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You just need to select the photo from the photos app you want to send. Not sure what you are doing to get an iCloud Link, unless you are trying to send the from the iCloud website directly.

If you explain what you are doing exactly, someone may be able to offer more specific help.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2018 7:35 AM in response to MariahGayle8693

Just to clarify, there is no Drag and Drop on an iPhone.

See here for how send pictures in a Message from an iPhone: Send photo, video, or audio messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You just need to select the photo from the photos app you want to send. Not sure what you are doing to get an iCloud Link, unless you are trying to send the from the iCloud website directly.

If you explain what you are doing exactly, someone may be able to offer more specific help.

Oct 16, 2018 11:32 AM in response to MariahGayle8693

Yes, I read that in your second post, and responded to that on page 1. I don't know why the link wouldn't be loading for anyone you send it to. Are you sending the message to multiple people and do they have a mix of iPhones and Androids?

If so, I would suggest that you contact iCloud Support (iCloud - Official Apple Support), or if you have a store nearby, make a Genius appointment and take it in so they can take a look.

Best,

GB

Oct 6, 2018 5:14 PM in response to Phil0124

Yeah this was the first time it happened for me, but I was trying to send more than one pic at a time, and that’s when it did it. I tried to send multiple pictures to 6 separate people, and it sent a link to each of them. But when I send one picture at a time, it works like it normally does. So for some reason, it’s just doing it when I try to send multiple at one time.

Oct 11, 2018 8:33 PM in response to MariahGayle8693

Are the people you are sending the message to, actually getting the link (either shared.icloud.com, or iCloud link available with a > to the right)?

When they tap on that, it should automatically go to an iCloudwebsite that allows them to select and download whichever photos they wish. On iOS 12, it should also say what the "expiration date" for the link is, so they know how much time they have to download the photos if they wish.

The only way to send them the "old fashioned way" is to turn off iCloud Photos. This is only happening in iOS 12. If you send multiple photos in iOS 11, even with iCloud Photo Library (iCloud Photos in iOS 12) turned on.

I tested this, and as soon as I turned off iCloud Photos in iOS 12, then it sent it the way we are used to.

So, it seems to be a combination of iCloud Photos and iOS 12. If you have both, then it sends multiple photos with a link instead of sending the photos. Go figure....

Best,

GB

Oct 12, 2018 10:40 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

gail from maine wrote:

So, it seems to be a combination of iCloud Photos and iOS 12. If you have both, then it sends multiple photos with a link instead of sending the photos. Go figure....

Best,

GB

Good to know. I don't use iCloud Photo Library so never would have come across this. Thanks for the heads up.

Me neither, but turned it on to test this to see if it might be involved since I wasn't running into the issue at all on my iOS 12 device. You are welcome!

GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.