Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Install Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Hi! I am really hoping to get this problem resolved. I have kept googling and putting off asking for help thinking it would take too long, but I have been working on this for over a good month now and it's starting to drive me crazy!

Computer Overview:

iMac 7,1

Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

1 Processor

Total # of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4MB

Memory: 4GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.2 of 4

Serial # QP***X87

Hardware UUID: ***

Now to the issues I have been having! Hoping someone can have a way to fix it

I bought this computer and restored it it has no operating system on it at all. I spoke with apple and was told I needed to buy the Snow Leopard Disc to install the system and then can upgrade from there if I want to. So I purchased the disc it came in the mail I tried to install it. Turns out the CD drive does not work. Everytime I would put the disc in it would immediately spit it back out. So, I went and got an external CD drive. Tried to install the software that way. Keep getting install failed (the installer could not copy the necessary support files). I have researched every link I found on google for methods to fix it and haven't been able to. I have Erased, Partitioned the HD. Still a no go. Googling I saw a few other options. I downloaded a couple different copies of the software from my windows laptop and created a bootable USB drive to try to install (I am not sure if that is frowned on or not, but I just want to be sure you all know everything that I have already tried). Once I put the USB install in it would boot, I would select the language for the download and it would say that Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer. Last thing I tried in hopes that it would work was I copied the install disc that I purchased from apple onto a USB. I get the same error as I did when using the install disc itself.

Other issues I have ran by:

Cannot run computer in Safe Mode

Have been getting Kernel Warning message (I think that's what they call it)

That's all I can think of for now on what I have tried. If something else comes to mind I will update.

Help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!! I am currently stuck and so sick of going through different steps to which all fail! LOL Look forward to any and all responses

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

OBS iMac (20-inch Mid 2007)

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 10:32 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 10, 2018 9:56 PM in response to Eric Root

Hey Eric!

Answer to your questions are below.

When you erased the hard drive, did you reformat it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Option GUID?

Yes, I did both of these....several times. Neither worked for me.

While booted off the DVD, have you run Disk Utility/Repair Disk until you got no errors?

I completed repair/and verify disc on the HD several times. I did get the kernel warning and had to restart a lot, but always went back and completed it before moving on. Neither of these worked for me either.

Not sure if it means anything or if it's because I have no OS currently installed on the computer, but repair disk permissions and repair disk permissions are grayed out.

Are you having any problems booting off the DVD?

No problems booting off the disc. Just the same error repeating during the install.

Thank you for the suggestions; if you think of anymore please do share. I really want to get this thing going and cannot afford an arm and leg. Also, I do apologize for the delay in response I was studying for my CDL and am working with a new employer.

-Amber

Can't Install Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.