Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection problems

I have a Macbook pro (mid 2012) using the latest iTunes (12.9.0.160) and when using itunes airplay to connect to an airport express w/speakers attached I get the following error message: An error occurred while connecting to the AirPlay device “AirPort Express Family Room”. The network connection timed out.

I've tried resetting everything multiple times and every other thing I can think of. I have multiple airports with speakers attached in various rooms and get the same message with all.

By clicking on the speaker Icon and choosing the airport express it will play after I enter my wifi password...

This problem seemed to start after an upgrade, not sure which.. It's the same with High Sierra and the new Mojave OS.. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 6:42 PM

After months of trying different things today I shut off the OS firewall again with no effect. I then thought of McAfee so I checked and it has it's own firewall, and discovered it was set for public networks rather than home or work network. I changed it and the problem was solved. So anyone with a similar problem and uses McAfee virus protection, it may be your problem.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2018 6:42 PM in response to Aophiuchus

After months of trying different things today I shut off the OS firewall again with no effect. I then thought of McAfee so I checked and it has it's own firewall, and discovered it was set for public networks rather than home or work network. I changed it and the problem was solved. So anyone with a similar problem and uses McAfee virus protection, it may be your problem.

Connection problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.