Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NO GPS. Cannot use WAZE or Maps

Waze says there is no GPS and MAPS only shows approximate location. How do they know where I am when it says no GPS. I have an iphone 6s IOS 11.4.1 I toggled location services off and on. I do not want to do a hard reset. Has anyone found another solution?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 1:17 PM

GPS is not the only way to know where you are.

Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

iOS devices might use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to determine your location. GPS and cellular location are available on iPhone and iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) models.

Other than trying to do a reset to factory settings I am not sure how best to find out if the GPS not working is software or hardware. I would recommend taking a backup with iTunes:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Then:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

And set it up as new, and confirm if the GPS still does not work. if it does not work then it is hardware. And to get that fixed you will need to:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2018 1:17 PM in response to amodra

GPS is not the only way to know where you are.

Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

iOS devices might use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to determine your location. GPS and cellular location are available on iPhone and iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) models.

Other than trying to do a reset to factory settings I am not sure how best to find out if the GPS not working is software or hardware. I would recommend taking a backup with iTunes:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Then:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

And set it up as new, and confirm if the GPS still does not work. if it does not work then it is hardware. And to get that fixed you will need to:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

NO GPS. Cannot use WAZE or Maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.