Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Won't delete partitions

Hi!

I tried to bootcamp my Macbook from early 2015 with macOS Mojave. I got an error saying that the disk couldn't be partitioned. When I looked in disk utility the partition had been created, but now I can't delete the partition and Bootcamp says that "The start disk could not be partitioned or restored to a single partition". It also says "The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.". Is there any way to delete this partition?

MacBook, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 3:59 PM

7 replies

Oct 6, 2018 9:34 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks it fixed most of my problems!

I followed the steps you gave med and it has removed all of the extra disks. I only saw disk0s3 and ran BC Assistant to restore, but it gave men an error saying that the disk couldn't be restored. Running diskutil list after trying to restore it gave me the following output:

User uploaded file

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed to get disk0s2 to have the full amount of storage (500gb) again?

Oct 6, 2018 9:34 PM in response to mhst

To get all your disk space back into the main APFS container, we need to erase/merge disk0s[3-8] and then BCA will merge them back into the main Container? If that is what you want to do, then run

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ BC1 disk0s3

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ BC2 disk0s4

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ BC3 disk0s5

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ BC4 disk0s6

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ BC5 disk0s8

diskutil mergePartitions jhfs+ BCMP disk0s3 disk0s8

diskutil list

Post the output.

• If you only see disk0s3, then
    • run diskutil eraseVolume fat32 BOOTCAMP disk0s3 , and,
    • now run BC Assistant and try to Remove/Restore.
  • Else
    • reboot the Mac and check the ordering of disk slices, and,
    • post the output of

diskutil list

Won't delete partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.