Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi problems

Firstly many apologies if I am posting in completely the wrong place but I have picked up Apple Community reponses when searching the Web for my current problem.

I have just bought a Naim Mu So QB to use as my main speaker in the house. It functions well using Blutooth but I am having big problems with WiFi, which, apart from the sound quality of the speaker, was a strong reason for buying it. WiFi being lossless. When it's working it is magnificent. It really shows up what one is missing using blutooth.

It seems, from searching the Web, that the WiFi is just not up to scratch. It works fine for a time, half an hour, and then just drops out. Having now reconnected, I forget how many times, I am wondering if I could use a WiFi extender and connect the speaker to it using an ethernet cable. This is possible in my setup but not connecting the cable directly from the Time Capsule to the speaker.

My system is an imac 2102 27" time capsule latest type and as a remote an iphone 6s.

Anybody any ideas please as to whether I would be wasting my money of if the idea might work.

Thanks in advance.

Josh

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Oct 7, 2018 4:55 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 8, 2018 1:40 PM in response to Josh 100

Hi Josh 100,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see from your message that you have a question about using a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth-connected speaker with an iMac.

Regarding your question about using a Wi-Fi extender with ethernet, that would depend a lot on the specifications of the extender and the speaker, so you may want to check with the manufacturers directly.

When it comes to the Wi-Fi connectivity you mentioned, there may be a few things to consider. It sounds like you're using AirPlay from your Mac to the speakers. Are you able to use Wi-Fi for other functions on your Mac? This is a great resource for some general Wi-Fi issues, titled How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity .

You might also check for Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference .

I hope this is helpful.

Kindest regards.

Oct 11, 2018 5:14 AM in response to Josh 100

Hi Josh 100,

Thanks for that additional information.

If you're looking to try using your Time Capsule to extend your network, you'll find some information in these great resources, titled Setting up Time Capsule for the first time and Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations .

I hope this information helps get you set up so you can test. If needed, you can also Contact Apple Support for additional Time Capulse assistance.

Take care.

Oct 11, 2018 3:48 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Joseph_S

Hi Joseph.

Thank you for your response.

I have checked through my wifi connections and all I can see is that the connection to the Mu So is shown as excellent.

I am using macOS Sierra by the way. Version 10.12.6.

When I am using the Naim unit, if I walk about the room that it is in looking at the bars on the wifi on my iphone, I can see it drop a bar when I approach the far side of the room. The wifi in the Naim is known not to be good so I am wondering again if using a wifi extender might help.

I actually have a Time Capsule which I am not using, I moved on to a larger capacity, so I could try an experiment using it as an extender without it costing me anything. If this is possible I could site it close to the speaker and connect using either wifi or an ethernet cable.

Do you think this is possible and is there somewhere on the Apple site where I can find a set up procedure. Or could you give me the procedure. I think it needs to have the same name as my main wifi but I am not completely certain that I would get it right without some instructions.

Again many thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Josh.

wifi problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.