Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 'downgrade' (from 11.x) before upgrading to Yosemite

Can I simply delete the NEW app and it's folders and reinstall the earlier version? ..Or do I need to make it 'invisible' through terminal, ...?

FYI: I'm currently refurbishing this MacBook Pro '2011 (Snow Leopard) out of desperation following the sudden crash of a 1T HD on my main PPC/ 10.5.8. music server. I can't find the Leopard installer anywhere which means things are still in a fluid transition.

Getting a used MacBook Pro for free was quite a concession. But I was upset to have discovered the 'single-choice-update' left me with iTunes11.x which doesn't include COVER FLOW. Otherwise, all but my iTunes playlist and CS4 have been restored to working order. SOON, I will upgrade the drive to run Yosemite.

As some know, I've spent nearly three weeks surfing 404's, help files and virtual spinning beach balls. Can someone explain the fastest way to drop/place/move my "iTunes Media Folder" and "Music Library~" into an environment that will perpetually run iTunes 10.x?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 7, 2018 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 7:16 PM

Once you have migrated a music library to a newer version of ITunes, its playlists, artwork, and custom labels are not really possible to downgrade.

If you have not reformatted the library, you might want to install 10.6 on the MacBook Pro, as long as it is a 2009 or older release. Apple sells the 10.6 that will install on it from http://store.apple.com/

Of course that won't work on any PowerPC machine you have, but most PowerPC software will still work on an Intel Mac with 10.6 installed.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2018 7:16 PM in response to tom-scott

Once you have migrated a music library to a newer version of ITunes, its playlists, artwork, and custom labels are not really possible to downgrade.

If you have not reformatted the library, you might want to install 10.6 on the MacBook Pro, as long as it is a 2009 or older release. Apple sells the 10.6 that will install on it from http://store.apple.com/

Of course that won't work on any PowerPC machine you have, but most PowerPC software will still work on an Intel Mac with 10.6 installed.

Oct 9, 2018 8:06 PM in response to a brody

Luckily, I have the Snow Leopard disk. And this is a 2011 MacBook Pro. ..And I have at least two uncorrupted iTunes folders in reserve.

The question I have now is which OSX will run the latest VERSION of iTunes 10 that still has cover flow? And the question plays well in reverse; WHICH version of COVER FLOW best justifies the use of a slightly downgraded OS?

My first reaction to High Sierra was they have to be kidding. None of the buttons, slide bars, or special commands seem logical in the context of what I need. OS X 10.10 seems to be the last of a breed. Obviously, nobody will be surfing the Internet on anything less in the relatively near term.

Oct 9, 2018 8:25 PM in response to a brody

Maybe there is an iTunes thread where I should be posting my primary questions. The first one does relate to this destitute circa 10.6 region of cyberspace where surfing the Internet is pretty much kaputz. Where there is no Flash upgrade, no support for Java, working patches, etc.

BEFORE moving a perfectly good copy of my MUSIC FOLDER --and its associated version of iTUNES-- to my currently iPolluted v.11 drive, do I need to use an UNINSTALLER? Would deleting the app and folders work. Does erasing blank space do the same thing as uninstall these days?

WHICH folders must be moved in which order? MUST it rebuild the entire library in order to 'find' all of the thousands of articles within? Who's the guru in this arena? Hot Links might help. Thanks!!!

Oct 11, 2018 5:20 AM in response to a brody

Thanks, Brody. I read your much longer discussion on the various compatibilities between OS and Apps throughout the migration from Rosetta. This helped a lot since I am still using a variety of legacy software in all of m work. I'm hardware poor and surfing eBay for solutions as we speak.

BTW! I finally did a simple item-for-item replacement to back date things to iTunes 9.x. My thought was to install 10.6 on top of that and see if it cleans things up on its own... It's still thinking about all those disconnected blocks, I suppose!!

iTunes 'downgrade' (from 11.x) before upgrading to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.