Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud for Windows 7.7 doesn't recognize Windows 10

I tried to update iCloud for Windows from version 7.6 to version 7.7. The update failed with a message saying: "iCloud for Windows requiring Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 (April 2018 update) and earlier".

I have Windows 10 and few days ago I udpated to the October 2018 update (version 1809) which since has been removed because of various issues with it.

I uninstalled iCloud for windows and trying to reinstall I am getting the same error.

null-OTHER, Windows 10, iCloud for Windows 7.7

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 10:23 AM

33 replies

Nov 13, 2018 8:58 PM in response to cpa2222

Strange did you follow the instructions exactly? I have translated them:

• Open Regedit.exe
    Windows 10 x64 users go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    Windows 10 x32 users go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
  • Change: CurrentBuild and CurrentBuildNumber from 17763 to 17134. And ReleaseId from 1809 into 1803!
  • Install Windows iCloud software, but DO NOT RESTART.
  • Revert the three registry changes.
  • Restart Windows.

If it still doesn't work, it seems that you have a different install issue. "Windows did not respond" is a very different message, it's an error. The issue that people have here is a friendly message with wrong information that blocks the install.

Oct 9, 2018 11:22 AM in response to mem70

Something is definitely up with iCloud for windows. My pc is on latest 1803 build and the photo sharing aspect of iCloud for windows stopped working straight after the feature update was installed. Our other pc which is build 1709 still is fine!

Then our 1709 pc gets offered iCloud 7.7 today, updates and is fine

Yet our 1803 is still on v7.6 and NOT being offered the update on Apple software update.

Something is borked between Apple and the new windows.

By the way the windows update was pulled but many had it already installed but tonight I think they may

of addressed the issue as our machine got a new cumulative update

Oct 9, 2018 12:08 PM in response to Scottyboy99

I also was not offered an update to 7.7 so I went and manually downloaded it. The install failed as I explained with an error message. It seems to say iCloud for WIndows works only for WIndows 10 April 2018 or EARLIER. I missed the "earlier" at first read because I am used to software requring the OS not be too behind in updates. And here they don't like it if you are fully updated.

Oct 9, 2018 12:15 PM in response to mem70

I’ve tweeted Apple support and put a link to this very thread. Not that I am holding out much hope other than a scripted response. I guess we just need to give it time as they will eventually realise their error. Frustrating though

I am hesitant to uninstall , redownload and install as it could screw things up further. I will wait for the Apple software update. It could even bork iTunes (which seems to be functioning perfectly) uninstalling it as I know a lot of their installed stuff can be interwoven and it doesn’t take a lot to upset something !

Oct 18, 2018 11:21 PM in response to mem70

I had to do a typical windows reset due to buggy Edge software. iCloud for windows was uninstalled and now I cannot reinstall it. I get the same error that the post is about. Can i download an earlier version of iCloud? or can i simply download the software and install it manually, like i often have to do with iTunes?

Nov 13, 2018 11:19 AM in response to aschb01

I tried this exactly after changing the values in the post. I first did not close regedit nor reboot compute, and the app downloaded and got to the last point where it said a "windows program did not respond as expected" and then shut down and reversed the install.

Second time, I made changes, closed regedit, did not reboot computer, and the same thing happened, so I must be doing something different than what I read the instructions to say.

what am i doing wrong?

Nov 14, 2018 6:50 AM in response to pjisonline

I understand what this issue here is about. I initially had that same message needing earlier installs of Windows. My response is that I tried the steps here, and I thought it worked, but as the install was closing, I got a Windows error message, that undid everything. I am one of the lucky ones who got the first blast of the 1809, was lucky in that I lost no files, but apparently, the newer updates are still not being applied unless I sign up as a Windows Insider. I installed the the latest update today (KB4467708) manually, rebooted and then tried the install again. I received the same error message as before, saying I needed an earlier version of windows. I haven't tried this workaround again, yet. Why do you suppose Apple is letting this happen?

Nov 15, 2018 2:37 PM in response to sbailey4

Did that. Looks wonderful as a "normal" install always does. Then as you expect a "finished" message, it pops up "

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I have downloaded several different copies of the installer, run both as admin and not, and I receive the notice and an unwind of the install.

Alll, thanks for the help. I think I have had enough fun dealing with dueling brat kids. Someday, someone at Apple or Microsoft will pull their collective heads out of the sunless places and get it fixed.

Nov 17, 2018 1:36 PM in response to DoughPleighboi

Exactly Dough,

I was one of the first persons to realize that back in early October, when the Windows 10 updated was automatically downloaded to my laptop. On the same day, my iPhone was no longer synchronizing with my Outlook 365 (Outlook 2016). So I tried to close the session and open again many times and finally I decided to uninstall "iCloud for Windows" and when trying to reinstall.......

I am from Sao Paulo, Brazil and Apple has a local support department. I called them that same day, reported everything to the technician and he guaranteed me that information would be sent to the appropriate department....it's been like 30 something days after that....

Let's hope!! It was the ONLY feature used by me on the Outlook.

iCloud for Windows 7.7 doesn't recognize Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.