Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allow shortcuts to run when phone is locked?

I've built a Shortcuts shortcut to allow me to "dictate" and have the text transcribed and shared to an app of my choosing. 3 taps and some talking and I can quickly take a readable note without typing.

Is there some way, however, to add the "Allow on Lock Screen" option for these "custom" shortcuts? Otherwise, I have to wait for the unlock, which seems minor but can be a problem while driving.

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 10, 2018 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 12:47 PM

Thanks, but that doesn't work. I say, "Hey Siri - dictate" and he says "Running your shortcut..." followed by "You need to unlock your iphone first!"

So I have to give thumbprint my way in and wait for the unlock. That's the step that I'm trying to avoid. Actually, I'd like the verbal "Running your shortcut" to not happen, too.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 12:47 PM in response to Leanne_68

Thanks, but that doesn't work. I say, "Hey Siri - dictate" and he says "Running your shortcut..." followed by "You need to unlock your iphone first!"

So I have to give thumbprint my way in and wait for the unlock. That's the step that I'm trying to avoid. Actually, I'd like the verbal "Running your shortcut" to not happen, too.

Oct 12, 2018 11:14 PM in response to Em.K

I understand. Getting rid of "Running your shortcut" and "Shortcut says" is high on a lot of people's priority-list.

However, all we can do, while not working at Apple, is wait for the SiriKit/Shortcuts team to implement ways of getting rid of those, and for further define what we can do with Shortcuts when dealing with a locked phone.

For the sake of security, not being able to run specific kinds of shortcuts while having a locked phone is actually a really good idea. You wouldn't want someone using a malicious Shortcut to wipe all your images or your calendar entries, would you?

Anyway, in this specific case, I have to trust Apple to think of it very clearly and to do the right thing.

Oct 11, 2018 11:20 AM in response to Em.K

Greetings, Em.K.

I see that you'd like to be able to use a Shortcut you've created from the lock screen of your iPhone SE. I'm happy to help.

Use Siri Shortcuts

Run a shortcut with Siri

After you add a shortcut to Siri on your iOS device, you can run the shortcut by asking Siri your personal phrase on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch or HomePod.

Just say "Hey Siri," then say the personal phrase you created for the shortcut.

Shortcuts that require an app to open on your iOS device might not work on HomePod and Apple Watch.

Take care!

Allow shortcuts to run when phone is locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.