Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restart a simple website after Mojave upgrade

Hi,

On High Sierra I have a website at /Library/Webserver/Documents/index.html.

Just simple pages and Directory listings with files.

How do I make Mojave serve it?

Maybe someone can send me an example httpd.conf? or something?

I don't need these tutorials ion how install a web development stack, AMP, etc.

I know how to turn on apachectl.

I just don't now how to point it to my IP (not domain name) and document root, and/or make it serve.

Thanks

[Email Edited by Host]

Mac mini

Posted on Oct 10, 2018 6:22 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Oct 13, 2018 6:26 PM in response to Betty Rogers

I’m not aware of a simple, turn-key way to do what you want with Mojave.

You can make Mojave serve web content by installing and migrating to a different web server and with a different management interface.

Or by rooting around in the latent Apache install in macOS and getting that to work for your requirements. (Apple documents that, too. See page 21ff.)

Or migrating to a different server platform. Another server operating system on x86-64 or other gear, or potentially a NAS box (and added plug-ins) such as those fro Synology and other vendors.

For an internal-only development web server and not one exposed to the open ‘net, MAMP is an option. (MAMP is intended as a development server, and not hardened for exposure to the open ’net.)

There are other options, as well. Not the least of which is hosting the content elsewhere.

Oct 10, 2018 6:29 PM in response to Betty Rogers

Hi Betty,

You pretty much can't do this because Server 5.7.1 no longer supports Websites. Server 5.7.1 will configure the Apache instance that listens on port 80 and port 443 as it sees fit, and any changes you try to make will likely be overwritten.

May I ask what services remaining in Server 5.7.1 (Profile Manager, OD, Xsan) are you using? If none, you would be better off removing Server.app and setting up your own AMP stack, or else installing High Sierra and Server 5.6.3 and moving your old Documents folder to this older server.

Oct 13, 2018 11:15 AM in response to Betty Rogers

Thank you,

Yes, I have gone back High Sierra and Server 5.6.3.

If I install Mojave again I will not update Server.app,

Since Mojave has Apache and I don't need php or MySQL, all I need to do is serve some simple html pages and the rest of my site is just letting apache list the directories' contents. If I remember correctly all I need to do is to point apache to my Documents root and give it my IP, right? (And start apache.)

Can someone assist in that, please? I did it years ago!

Oct 15, 2018 10:46 AM in response to Betty Rogers

Hire or contract for some IT to deal with this for you, and to keep the various pieces and parts updated and secured—web servers are an ongoing effort, no matter the platform.

Or migrate to and host this all, particularly if this is exposed to the ‘net.

php5, for instance, is being deprecated at the end of this year.

As for Java, the current version of Oracle Java (Java 11) requires purchasing an Oracle license for commercial use, and check with Oracle for details and downloads for that. The download web site is at java.com.

Oct 15, 2018 11:18 PM in response to MrHoffman

No way, thanks. I've been serving my own pages on a mac for ... ever since OSX.

I don't think you're correct on buying an Oracle license to make that gui work; whether it works on Mojave or not is perhaps another question.

As far as any "migration," maybe I'll move it to my dormant Sawtooth, running Snow Leopard Server.

I know how to install all that stuff. I just want to get it up fast. I thought some nice person would tell me how, so that I wouldn't have to.

Oct 29, 2018 10:25 PM in response to Betty Rogers

I had the same issue. They moved the appache2 config files to the etc directory.

Log in as root, and you can easily go to etc/apache2 and make sure the config files are correct.

Then restarted the computer and bam, web services were back.

I don't use the Server App because I run Rumpus ftp on the same server and Server app does not like that.

It would be nice if Apple provided a nice GUI tool for Apache (virtual hosts), MySql, and PHP and permissions for web folders without glomming up all the virtual IPs so you can run a different ftp server and/or mailserver.

Oct 29, 2018 10:34 PM in response to RKD in OOKC

Thank you, I’ll try it!

Btw, (I simply forgot a lot of this stuff): is the reason I need to edit the file as root, to make sure any permissions stay correct or can I do this as an admin? actually that doesn’t sound correct. I can do this simply is admin, correct (I believe I always have)?

Do you know: if I am bouncing off of NoIp (dyndns services) for my (theirs) domain name...

then I must enter my IP address or my domain name in the configurstion file? I think I’ve done it both ways. Not sure I can check my conf file now because it’s setup using Server.

Amen, to #APPLE providing these controls again!!!! ... this long Apple user canNOT stress that enough.

Thanks again

Restart a simple website after Mojave upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.