Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to erase hard drive when utilities folder is empty on PowerBook G4

i need to erase the hard drive on my 2005 PowerBook G4 but my utilities folder is empty. all directions say to go to Utilities Disk, but i cannot get there. what is another way to erase the hard drive so i can send this old dinosaur in for recycling?

PowerBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Oct 10, 2018 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 1:47 PM

If you have a system/install disc that works with your computer model, try inserting that disc and restart with the C key depressed. Look for a Disk Utility application.

If you do not have a suitable system disc, but another FireWire-capable Mac, you may also want to try FireWire target disk mode. That is, the PowerBook G4 can act as an external hard drive for the other Mac. It would then be possible to erase the hard disk in the PowerBook G4 by running a program on/from that other Mac. For details see, for example, https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA573/en_US/PowerBookG4_15inch1.67-1.5G HzUserGuide.pdf#M6.9.47452.H2.FireWire.Target.Disk.Mode

and How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 1:47 PM in response to bmiyamoto

If you have a system/install disc that works with your computer model, try inserting that disc and restart with the C key depressed. Look for a Disk Utility application.

If you do not have a suitable system disc, but another FireWire-capable Mac, you may also want to try FireWire target disk mode. That is, the PowerBook G4 can act as an external hard drive for the other Mac. It would then be possible to erase the hard disk in the PowerBook G4 by running a program on/from that other Mac. For details see, for example, https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA573/en_US/PowerBookG4_15inch1.67-1.5G HzUserGuide.pdf#M6.9.47452.H2.FireWire.Target.Disk.Mode

and How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support.

Oct 11, 2018 4:03 AM in response to bmiyamoto

You will need to start up from a bootable system disc in the optical drive. Disk Utility can then be used to wipe the hard disk.

If you do not have access to an appropriate system disc, it is possible to open the PowerBook and remove the internal hard drive. You could connect the drive to a universal USB hard drive adapter (the NewerTech Universal Drive Adapter USB Bare Drive Adapter is merely one example; similar adapters can be found in local computer shops). This makes it possible to use another Mac or PC to erase the (now external) drive. Alternatively, you could just use a hammer or drill to destroy the hard drive.

how to erase hard drive when utilities folder is empty on PowerBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.