Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerline Adapters - and an old modem

Hello, I'd love some tech advice from those more knowledgeable than I am.

I live in an old Victorian house and because of wall after wall after wall my wifi deteriorates to non-existent in the back of the house. And my smart TV is not so smart and Netflix is only an option on my desktop mac or Macbook pro.

After some research, I understand that powerline adapters will be the way to go (for now at least). And I understand the principle of where they go and how they attach to devices with ethernet cables.

Here's my issue: my bigpond modem is OLD - but it works fine! (If it ain't broke don't fix it - right?!) I mention this because there is no spare ethernet port at the back of it.

So my question is for the first of the 2 powerline adapters, can I attach the ethernet cable directly to the back of my desktop mac? (Which is connected to my modem and in the same room). Or must the ethernet cable go directly to the modem itself?

(FYI I also have a time capsule - but I have become confused reading about how this might be used to create a wifi network and the various settings requirements. I'm hoping for a solution that will require minimal interference with the way everything is currently set up - because I didn't do the setting-up so don't understand the logic behind it all.)

Thank you so much! If I have a better understanding I can go to jb hifi tomorrow 🙂

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017), OS 10.13.6

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 1:02 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Oct 11, 2018 2:03 PM in response to jacquie5353

Is the BigPond modem ALSO your WiFi device, or is that the Time Capsule?

Also, do you have broadband, or DSL (which is a poor cousin to broadband)? I only ask because a did a Google search on BigPond modem and the first thing that came up is ADSL, hence my question.

Until you clarify a few things. I'll make some suggestions based on my assumptions (always dangerous).

I'm going to assume you plug your Time Capsule into the BigPond modem, so you have 3 Ethernet ports available on the back of your Time Capsule. You can plug the power line adapters into one of the <--> labeled Time Capsule Ethernet ports. If you need more than 3, you can get an inexpensive 5-port Ethernet switch you plug into one of the Time Capsule ports.

Another thought is that maybe what you need is a WiFi Mesh Network. You might want to Google "Best WiFi Mesh" and look at some of the options. With more and more WiFi devices that want to connect to your home network, you might want to consider this instead of doing individual point to point Ethernet. I have an eero mesh network with 21 WiFi devices attached, and I get solid coverage throughout my home and outside up to 250 feet from my front door. I have an eero mesh network, which was last years best, but mesh networks are evolving fast and furious, so if you are interested Google "Best Mesh WiFi" and you will find reviews from this year giving you lots of options.

Oct 11, 2018 2:03 PM in response to BobHarris

Hello - thank you for your considered thoughts!!

I have ADSL2+ (telstra) and my wifi is through my modem

I love the idea of the wifi mesh network but it comes back again to needing an ethernet port in my modem. That's how old the modem is: only one port and it's taken.

But aha! are you saying that because my TC is connected to my modem via a yellow ethernet cable (which it is) then the 3 open ethernet ports on the back of my TC are available for me to use for wifi solution (powerline or mesh) *as if* I were plugging the cable directly into the modem itself?

If so, this is wonderful news!

If I haven't understood that correctly then, I might need to split my issue in half for now: solve for netflix on tv and then attack house/garden-wide wifi.

If so, is it possible to connect my Macbook pro directly to my samsung smart tv? My internet research suggests if I get 1) a digital AV adapter with a thunder bolt connection and 2) a hi speed ethernet cable then I can use the adapter from the macbook and then use the cable to connect the adapter and the TV?

does that sound right .... and will image and speed transfer to the tv *as if* I was watching it originate on the TV?

footnote:

I also received a text from telstra last night to say the nbn is available for my home now. (The outside box was installed some months back) . But no work has been done inside the ouse yet and I thought that had to happen before it would be available ...) Would switching to nbn make a difference to any of these plans/solutions?

Thank you again SO MUCH for your help!

J

Oct 11, 2018 7:57 PM in response to jacquie5353

I have ADSL2+ (telstra) and my wifi is through my modem

So your Telstra is also your also your WiFi and your router.

You have your Time Capsule Ethernet connected to the Telstra.

You should put your Time Capsule into "Bridge Mode".

Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Utility -> Your Time Capsule

-> Network tab -> Router Mode -> Off (Bridge Mode)

That way your Time Capsule is just a backup device on your network and not acting like another router.

Unless you also want your Time Capsule to also be a WiFi access point, you should turn off the Time Capsule's WiFi radio.

Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Utility -> Your Time Capsule

-> Wireless -> Network Mode -> Off

If you get PowerLine adapters, then just plug them into the Time Capsule's <--> Ethernet ports.

Here is a way to use PowerLine adapters to extend your WiFi. Plug the 1st PowerLine adapter into the Telstra. The put the other PowerLine adapter in the desired other part of our house. Plug the Time Capsule into that PowerLine adapter. Configure your Time Capsule to Bridge mode as described above. BUT keep the WiFi radio turned on, and give it the same WiFi network name the Telstra is using, and the same WiFi password the Telstra is using. Now you have set up what is called a "Roaming" network. This is NOT a Mesh network. Rather it is the poor cousin. But you should be able to have WiFi in 2 areas of your house. In addition, you can plug 3 Ethernet devices into your Time Capsule (your Netflix device for example).

If you are going to get a Mesh network, then if you are going to keep the Telstra as your router, you should see if you can turn off the routing capabilities in the Mesh network devices (the instructions for doing this will be different depending on which Mesh network you buy). Again you can plug the first Mesh network device into your Time Capsule. Then position the other devices around your house to give you better WiFi coverage.

If you get a Mesh network that has extra Ethernet ports, you can plug the 1st Mesh device into the Telstra and the Time Capsule into the extra Ethernet port on the Mesh network. But not all Mesh network devices have an extra Ethernet port so this is just a point of information.

Another way to approach this is to see if you can turn off the Telstra WiFi and Router functions, then make the first device that connects to the Telstra the router. If this is the Mesh network, then you would NOT put it into Bridge mode. If it is the Time Capsule, then you would not put the Time Capsule into to Bridge mode.

Basically, you have 3 potential routers, but ONLY would should be active. The Telstra, the Time Capsule, and the hypothetical Mesh network. If the Telstra is the router, then the other 2 should be put into Bridge mode (turn router features off). If the Telstra has its router functions turned off, then the device that is plugged into the Telstra should be the router. NEVER make the router the 3rd device in the chain. Things will not end well if you do that.

I know this s is a lot to consider, so if you just want to stop after putting the Time Capsule into Bridge mode and go with the Power Line adapters, I would understand. But if you do decide to get a Mesh network, and plug it into the Time Capsule, the Mesh network devices should also be put into Bridge mode. Things will really work better that way.

Oct 11, 2018 9:59 PM in response to BobHarris

Thank you again so much for your help, time and detail!

It is a lot to think about and map out in my head to ensure I understand - but you have definitely given me some ideas about how to have a conversation with the store when I go in over the weekend.

I have only just realised through your response that you are not in Australia. Telstra is a telecommunications service provider (not a device). But I think I get the gist 😉

What is clear is that there will be a good solution without having to change the devices (modem etc) I have - and I'm very relieved about that - and that the TC can be used for its ethernet ports 🙂

I'm not sure about the TC-related bridge and wifi radio components of your answer (I am nervous about changing settings without really understanding why) but this will be useful if I call my local mac store as i will already have that language/awareness.

Thanks again!

J

Oct 12, 2018 6:19 AM in response to jacquie5353

I have only just realised through your response that you are not in Australia.

Massachusetts, USA

I'm not sure about the TC-related bridge and wifi radio components of your answer (I am nervous about changing settings without really understanding why) but this will be useful if I call my local mac store as i will already have that language/awareness.

You can reverse any setting you make. Just keep notes as you go. Take screenshots before and after (Command-Shift-3, or Command-Shift-4). Take pictures of existing wiring with your phone camera so you can put things back.

If I can get my sister (a physical therapist) to switch her Time Capsule from being a router and WiFi device to be just a device and no WiFi on her new Mesh network from 300 miles away, I'm sure you can do it as well 🙂

If you are going to keep your Time Capsule next to your BigPond modem/router/WiFi device, then you do not want the Time Capsule WiFi radios to interfere with the BigPond. If you are going to use PowerLine adapters to move your Time Capsule to another part of your house, then you want the Time Capsule WiFi radios, however, you do not want the Time Capsule acting as a router. Bridge mode just turns off the router functions. If you plug things into the Time Capsule, but you do not disable the Router functions, then you will find that devices separated by the Time Capsule will have problems talking directly to each other. The devices on the other side of the Time Capsule will be able to talk to the internet, but they will not be able to talk to the devices using the BigPond WiFi. If the Time Capsule router functions are turned off then everyone is on the same subnet and will see everyone else. More than one person has run into this issue when setting up networked printers and couldn't figure out why they could not see their printer.

PS. when talking someone in the shop, just remember you are most likely going to be asked to make a decision while standing there. You do not get as much time to think it over or sleep on it, like with the information you are getting from the web or this thread. So it is helpful if you go in having checked out prices and different configuration options. And if you are not sure, take notes in the shop, and tell them you will be back after you have thought about it.

Oct 13, 2018 4:59 PM in response to Tony T1

Am I correct that this is because non-Apple routers do not have Bonjour Sleep Proxy?

You definitely need Sleep Proxy services. You can add an Apple TV to your network and get Sleep Proxy services that way.

Some routers may offer the service as it is part of the Zero Configuration standards (another name for Bonjour).

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_Sleep_Proxy>

Powerline Adapters - and an old modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.