Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5 - Audio generated FX

Hello! I am a new Motion user with 3 days under my belt. So go easy on me. lol

I am a DJ and am trying to make some animations to attach to my hour+ long mixes, however, I am running into issues possibly because I am not using the software efficiently, or because I am misunderstanding the software.

I have several items that I want to react to my audio file which is an hour+ long in length. Am I understanding wrong that I need to attach my audio to each individual item in order for it to react to the audio file? The problem is it is taking 6 hours for Motion to analyze the audio for one item!!! I might not be using a top of the line Mac Pro, but I have a maxed spec Retina iMac.

I am hoping I am understanding this incorrectly and that there is just one location to insert this audio that is analyzed once, and then all items I need to react to audio can be pointed to that already analyzed audio file.

Also, once an item is finally analyzed to my audio file, any changes to that item (such as moving its layer position, adjusting some animation sliders, etc.) is causing Motion 20-40 minutes to process the slightest change, making it impossible to work with.

Im using Motion 5.3.2. Any help or helping me understand what I am doing wrong is appreciated!! Thanks!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 3:32 PM

simmer209 wrote:

I have several items that I want to react to my audio file which is an hour+ long in length. Am I understanding wrong that I need to attach my audio to each individual item in order for it to react to the audio file? The problem is it is taking 6 hours for Motion to analyze the audio for one item!!! I might not be using a top of the line Mac Pro, but I have a maxed spec Retina iMac.

First of all: OUCH! Working with audio is going to cost you (time). You might be better off breaking down your audio behaviors into "chunks" — individual audio behaviors every 5 minutes or so (plan for gaps in the audio) for any given parameter — but before you resort to this, read on...

I am hoping I am understanding this incorrectly and that there is just one location to insert this audio that is analyzed once, and then all items I need to react to audio can be pointed to that already analyzed audio file.

Yes - you need to have the audio analyzed ONCE. You also need to let the Mac *finish* analyzing before moving on to something else — interrupting the process will halt keyframe production at the point of interruption. Once you do that you can actually option-drag duplicates to other objects (or even duplicate it for the same object.) Then use the Apply To drop down to assign that audio behavior to *another* parameter.

Also, once an item is finally analyzed to my audio file, any changes to that item (such as moving its layer position, adjusting some animation sliders, etc.) is causing Motion 20-40 minutes to process the slightest change, making it impossible to work with.

Yeah... this is a bummer as all the keyframes that the behavior produces must be updated... The way around this is to add a Behaviors > Parameter > Custom Behavior to the object. Add Parameter the value you need to adjust and use the Custom to adjust the offsets — Motion, in general, will process these offsets in "real time". If all you need to do is adjust "amplitude", adjust the Audio Behavior Scale parameter (adjusting this does not usually cause recalc'ing all the analyzed keyframes).

When working with audio, you need a plan. If you're just experimenting, only use about a minute of audio material and figure out what you want for your end result. This includes setting Frequency Ranges as you should have these figured out before you try to apply to specific objects for analyzing AND the Smoothness (and Peaks) option. Better yet: if you can separate each instrument (or subsets of instruments) into individual discrete files (easy to do with MIDI sequences, not so much with mixes.) The overall end effect is much better. [Using Left or Right Channel options is also effective.] As I said: have a plan — keep notes! Once you have a plan in place, then you can change your audio — re-analyze your "key" audio behaviors and option drag duplicates to the other objects that will share the effect. If necessary, and you have natural gaps, you can subdivide the "tracks" with more than one, shorter, audio behavior. You will still be able to duplicate these across multiple objects.

It will still take you some time...

HTH

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 3:32 PM in response to simmer209

simmer209 wrote:

First of all: OUCH! Working with audio is going to cost you (time). You might be better off breaking down your audio behaviors into "chunks" — individual audio behaviors every 5 minutes or so (plan for gaps in the audio) for any given parameter — but before you resort to this, read on...

Yes - you need to have the audio analyzed ONCE. You also need to let the Mac *finish* analyzing before moving on to something else — interrupting the process will halt keyframe production at the point of interruption. Once you do that you can actually option-drag duplicates to other objects (or even duplicate it for the same object.) Then use the Apply To drop down to assign that audio behavior to *another* parameter.

Yeah... this is a bummer as all the keyframes that the behavior produces must be updated... The way around this is to add a Behaviors > Parameter > Custom Behavior to the object. Add Parameter the value you need to adjust and use the Custom to adjust the offsets — Motion, in general, will process these offsets in "real time". If all you need to do is adjust "amplitude", adjust the Audio Behavior Scale parameter (adjusting this does not usually cause recalc'ing all the analyzed keyframes).

When working with audio, you need a plan. If you're just experimenting, only use about a minute of audio material and figure out what you want for your end result. This includes setting Frequency Ranges as you should have these figured out before you try to apply to specific objects for analyzing AND the Smoothness (and Peaks) option. Better yet: if you can separate each instrument (or subsets of instruments) into individual discrete files (easy to do with MIDI sequences, not so much with mixes.) The overall end effect is much better. [Using Left or Right Channel options is also effective.] As I said: have a plan — keep notes! Once you have a plan in place, then you can change your audio — re-analyze your "key" audio behaviors and option drag duplicates to the other objects that will share the effect. If necessary, and you have natural gaps, you can subdivide the "tracks" with more than one, shorter, audio behavior. You will still be able to duplicate these across multiple objects.

It will still take you some time...

HTH

Oct 12, 2018 10:38 AM in response to simmer209

When you make a change that initiates the Analysis again, you should simply wait it out. All you should get is this wait cursor in the Audio behavior inspector:

User uploaded file

If you get a "beach ball" — that's probably the OS complaining. It might be resources being used/rewritten on your hard disk. I don't know exactly what you mean by a "maxed out" retina iMac. Is that with an SSD? ...and how much RAM (16GB or more?).

You can do some resource management in Motion and try increasing the amount of memory allocated to Motion from 80% (default) to up to about 95% (you can try higher if you like...I tend to leave a little breathing room for the OS in there). I don't think it will make a significant amount of difference but it might keep more computer resource operations concentrated in Motion and not so many other processes. The other thing you can try is changing your Autosave preference from Save a copy every: 15 minutes to 60 minutes or more and give Motion a chance to finish analyzing your audio files before making a backup. Also, set the Autosave Vault Folder to a location on your fastest drive — or turn it off altogether if you never use it (*not* recommended!) Other than that, I can't think of too much else to tell you. If you get the "spinning beachball of death" — try waiting a few minutes without trying to do anything to see if it comes out of it by itself. If your project is very "busy" (a lot of different objects doing a lot of different things — especially emitters or replicators) try turning most of them off except the one (or two) you are working on at the moment, or reducing the loads they create (e.g., if you have a high birth rate on an emitter, bring it down to under 100 and shortening the Life of the particles, etc... stuff like that). A project that is an hour long is a massive load on Motion. Is there any way you can reduce the project into "scenes" or "acts", export those sections as video and put all the pieces together in FCPX or even Motion as video clips?

Oct 11, 2018 3:40 PM in response to fox_m

Wow! That was some really helpful info and loving the tips on separating audio. For this or any mixes I will make animations for , they wont be able to be separated, but I do audio production on tracks too, so I will definitely use that advice in the future.

As for the using the same analyzed music file I will have to mess around to figure out how to do that. I just wanted to hear from a seasoned Motion user that it was possible before I started really digging into it. Helpful videos or advice on youtube are not in high supply, and most of the answers I received or viewed was that I have to drag my audio into each object, which causes it to be reanalyzed for another 6 hours.

So I will try out your method and see how it goes. Thanks mucho!!!

Oct 11, 2018 4:01 PM in response to fox_m

IT WORKED! I will say, it did take a while with really no indication on what it was doing other than the beach ball spinning around. But I think I can deal with this as opposed to waiting 6 hours to reanalyze the audio file per object.

One other question you might know...when I do make a change and Motion goes into unresponsive, beach ball mode, is there anyway to halt the process from finishing? Other than Force Quit Motion of course. Thanks again!

Oct 12, 2018 10:48 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks Fox! I think I need to take your first advice and just start experimenting what I want to achieve with something small scaled as opposed to experimenting in this full hog hour long file. I was turning things off, hiding layers, shortening some of the animations to do test runs with and then extending them when I was happy, but Motion was still getting picky at some moments and kept wanting to play with the beach ball instead. lol. So I think ill just start with a new file and mess around in there with a smaller audio file. Then I can apply those ideas to the larger file as you advised.

Working with audio in Motion is no joke. But I will say, even though the slightest tweak can make the program need to rethink for a while, in the end, it does handle things pretty well. Especially how smooth playback is for all the live changes being made , as long as you dont have any objects selected during playback.

I have a fusion drive, with 16GB, 4GHz i7, and 4GB Radeon R9. Its no Mac Pro, but its decently spec'd for an iMac.

What do you use for your work if you dont mind me asking?

Oct 12, 2018 9:06 PM in response to simmer209

Right now, I've got a 2017 i5 4GB Radeon Pro 570 24GB RAM — also a fusion drive — a pretty basic 27in iMac [5k retina] to which I added an extra 8GB RAM. It's actually a little slower than the 2013 i7 4GB NVIDIA 780m that died unexpectedly [I think playing Diablo III at high resolution overheated it and toasted the GPU]. It's slower because I have several external SSD drives that helped its performance and that i7 with hyperthreading makes a rather big difference... This newer iMac struggles a little with processor intensive tasks (comparatively speaking).

Oct 17, 2018 5:13 PM in response to simmer209

OT:

The thing about it that irks me the most is that as a 2013, I had already been planning that an upgrade would be needed for a 2018/2019 model. As it is, I was forced to replace the older equipment when I was not quite ready to do so. I had to replace the old one with the "best deal I could find"... that day. There's a few things I like about this (2017 5K retina), but overall, there really is no "overall" performance boost that I would expect from a newer machine.

... also ... I don't dare play the game full screen on this one... LOL. So far... I don't seem to really push the heat generation (I haven't heard any fans) playing this way.

Motion 5 - Audio generated FX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.