Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i have to do sudo trimforce enable on 3rd party ssd Mac Os MOJAVE

hie there.mind me askin'?..i just upgraded my macbook os to mojave..clean format fresh install...i would like to know do i still need to TRIM my ssd (using 3rd party ssd) via sudo trimforce enable or no need??....

here my macbook spec

MacBook Pro 15inch 2012 non-Retina 2.7Ghz i7 Quad-Core A1286

16GB 1600mhz DDR3L RAM

SandDisk CloudSpeed ULTRA Gen II ENTERPRISE SATA SSD 1.6TB2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA DRIVE

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 1:17 PM

5 replies

Oct 11, 2018 2:20 PM in response to khaidir77

You have to come to your own conclusions. Probaly less important on a brand new SSD, and one that has plenty of free space.

Once you make the choice stick with it; ie you do not want to be flipping back and forth as this will lead to data corruption.

Always advised to have a back up plan in place. How to create a boot clone

TRIM will release deleted blocks, It is recommended once enabled do a restart into SafeBoot Mode (hold the Shift key.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Safe Mode does a Disk Repair and honors this trimforce command, effectively removing all the old deleted data.

The advantage of the TRIM command is that it enables the SSD’s GC (garbage collection) to skip the invalid data rather than moving it, thus saving time not rewriting the invalid data. This results in a reduction of the number of erase cycles on the flash memory and enables higher performance during writes. The SSD doesn’t need to immediately delete or garbage collect these locations it just marks them as no longer valid. This helps ensure that all storage cells are aged uniformly and maximum lifetime achieved.

ref: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/garbage-collection-and-trim-i n-ssds-explained-an-ssd-primer/

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/29/use-trimforce-trim-ssd-mac-os-x/

trimforce status from terminal copy & paste:

system_profiler SPSerialATADataType | grep 'TRIM'

To move forward:

trimforce enable

trimforce disable

All new SSD will perform well, it is over time when allocated blocks and pages become used, you start to see a loss of performance.

"TRIM doesn’t obviate the need for garbage collection—it works with garbage collection to more properly mark pages as stale. And you don’t need TRIM for garbage collection to work—but TRIM makes an SSD’s garbage collection more efficient."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/ask-ars-my-ssd-does-garbage-collection-so -i-dont-need-trim-right/

I can say new Apple computers that ship w/ SSD have TRIM enabled by default.

Apple just within the last couple OS X, supply the TRIM command in terminal for 3rd party SSD (eliminating the need for 3rd party methods to enable TRIM) this should tell you something about demand of this functionality.

Oct 11, 2018 3:06 PM in response to khaidir77

khaidir77 wrote:

if i TRIM my 3rd party ssd..how about the ssd performances? and reboot time gonna be faster than High Sierra??

You say nothing about what you were running on your High Sierra, an SSD? I can not give you a comparison with out more information. Obviously SSD is light years faster than a rotational HD, TRIM or no TRIM.

The whole idea is performance and longevity increase for the SSD using TRIM in the long run.

Once fully booted you see no decrease.

I can say however—it seems to take about twice as long to boot up from a dead stop with TRIM enabled, say 20 secs vs 10 secs with no TRIM.

Oct 11, 2018 3:08 PM in response to khaidir77

For a recent third-party SSD/Flash memory drive, read very carefully whether the storage device vendor recommends, or discourages enabling external TRIM support on their drive. Many are now incorporating TRIM functionality into their drive controllers and enabling external TRIM may offer no advantage at all, and may actually harm the drive.

do i have to do sudo trimforce enable on 3rd party ssd Mac Os MOJAVE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.