Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

timecapsule reset

Guys,

I have a time capsule used for time machine and as the primary network for a while. Now I have a new router, and I want to use the TC to extend it. It does not accept and reverses to the old network name when I tried this option. I thought to reset it to factory settings, but don't know how. Furthermore, is it possible to create a partition of the HDD to a specific storage? Many thanks.

null-OTHER, iOS 12.0.1, Airport utility

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 8:52 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 11, 2018 9:27 PM in response to naylofromtoronto

I have a time capsule used for time machine and as the primary network for a while. Now I have a new router, and I want to use the TC to extend it.

What is the make and model number of the new router?

What operating system is installed on your Mac?

If you are trying to use the TC to connect to the wireless network provided by the new router using a wireless connection......the TC cannot do this......unless......your new router is also an Apple router.

If you want the TC to extend the network of a new third party router, the only way that the TC can do this is with a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection between the TC and the new router.

Furthermore, is it possible to create a partition of the HDD to a specific storage?

This is not really practical unless you are a trained technician. To partition the drive inside the TC, you have to open up the TC, very carefully pull out the hard drive, place the drive in a caddy, connect the caddy to your Mac to format the drive, then reverse the process and reinstall the drive back in the TC. Not wanting to do this myself, I asked a repair shop about doing this a few years ago, and was quoted $300-400.

Oct 12, 2018 12:08 AM in response to naylofromtoronto

The factory reset is easy peasy.. power off.. hold in reset.. power on again and keep holding in reset.. for about 10sec.. front LED will flash rapidly when you get it right.

Partitioning the TC is effectively impossible now.. we used to do it.. nowadays it will throw up disk errors and you cannot get rid of them.

See how to create a DMG file as a reserved partition.

Ancient post but still works.

http://www.baligu.com/pondini/TM/TCQ3.html

timecapsule reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.