Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra cannot read Mojave Fotos pictures

I have one computer with Mojave and one computer with High Sierra. Further I have an extern disk with some Fotos libraries.

When I read a library on my Mojave computer it is automatically upgraded to Mojave.

Now I found out that is not possible anymore to read that library on my High Sierra computer.

Is there a solution?

Goos

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

iPhone 6s, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 12, 2018 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2018 10:01 AM

The only method to downgrade a Photos Library from Mojave to High Sierra is iCloud Photo Library.

If you are willing to pay for a month the fees for enough cloud storage to accommodate your complete Photos Library, you can get a Photos 4.0 library converted by downloading it from iCloud to your computer with Photos 3.0 on High Sierra.

• Connect a drive with enough storage for the converted library to your High Sierra Mac.
  • On your Mojave Mac open the library you want to downgrade to Photos 3.0. Enable iCloud Photo Library and wait for the library to upload to iCloud.
  • Now create an empty photos library on your High Sierra Mac on the external drive. Enable iCloud Photo Library. Wait for the library to download to this Mac.

Once you have the library again on the olde rMac, disable iCloud Photo Library on all Macs.

iCloud Photo Library makes it easy to share a Photos Library between Macs with different system versions. Two of My Macs are running Mojave, the third one is kept on High Sierra, but all are sharing the same Photos Library in iCloud. On my Mojave Macs the library version is Photos 4.0, on the High Sierra Mac it is Photos 3.0, on my iPhone X it is iOS 12 and the iPhone 5s iOS 11. I just love how easy it is to keep some devices on older versions, but still share the Photos Library on all devices and keep the libraries in sync, thanks to iCloud Photos.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2018 10:01 AM in response to Bakkergh

The only method to downgrade a Photos Library from Mojave to High Sierra is iCloud Photo Library.

If you are willing to pay for a month the fees for enough cloud storage to accommodate your complete Photos Library, you can get a Photos 4.0 library converted by downloading it from iCloud to your computer with Photos 3.0 on High Sierra.

• Connect a drive with enough storage for the converted library to your High Sierra Mac.
  • On your Mojave Mac open the library you want to downgrade to Photos 3.0. Enable iCloud Photo Library and wait for the library to upload to iCloud.
  • Now create an empty photos library on your High Sierra Mac on the external drive. Enable iCloud Photo Library. Wait for the library to download to this Mac.

Once you have the library again on the olde rMac, disable iCloud Photo Library on all Macs.

iCloud Photo Library makes it easy to share a Photos Library between Macs with different system versions. Two of My Macs are running Mojave, the third one is kept on High Sierra, but all are sharing the same Photos Library in iCloud. On my Mojave Macs the library version is Photos 4.0, on the High Sierra Mac it is Photos 3.0, on my iPhone X it is iOS 12 and the iPhone 5s iOS 11. I just love how easy it is to keep some devices on older versions, but still share the Photos Library on all devices and keep the libraries in sync, thanks to iCloud Photos.

Oct 12, 2018 9:06 AM in response to Bakkergh

There's no downgrade path, short of rolling in pre-upgrade backups and re-applying the changes that happened after the Mojave upgrade—and then not upgrading the newly-restored system to Mojave, of course—or short of exporting everything and re-importing on the earlier release and running libraries in parallel for the duration, or of wholesale migrating the photos to a different photo storage app or service.

Apple hasn't supported storing Photo libraries on network-attached storage for a while now.

Old Macs and old software versions invariably fall behind as app data formats change, and as well as when too-old-to-connect network security support blocks Safari or other network connections to sites requiring recent security.

High Sierra cannot read Mojave Fotos pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.