Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reverse telecine problems

Hello,

I had some 16mm film (shot at 24fps) transferred to minidv. The minidv is interlaced video at 29.97fps. I'm trying to end up with 23.98 progressive video, and I'm trying to use Compressor 4.4.1 to do it.

Unfortunately, I'm hitting a brick wall - repeatedly.

I've tried the instructions at Compressor: About reverse telecine but each time I get a Compressor failure (no real detail as to why - just "failed" in red). I've tried running reverse telecine with Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 as well as Prores, but no matter what I do, it fails, either with the red "failed" or Compressor simply crashing outright. Given that each attempt is multiple hours long, I've been at this for a few days now.

I finally used Compressor to extract a 60-second piece of the original DV video and convert that to Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 (without doing deinterlace or reverse telecine), figuring that at least with a file that short, I could experiment a bit faster.

Starting with that 60 second file, I set up a job to go to Uncompressed again, except changing the output to progressive and turning on reverse telecine. The output came out with periodic green frames in it.

My next thought was to convert to progressive first, to try and minimize the number of changes in each Compressor run. The 60 second input has now been processing for over six hours. After 6 hours, I'm fairly sure it isn't going to finish.

Other things I have done: rebooted countless times, deleted the Compressor app and reinstalled it, tried moving the footage from an external drive to an internal one, deleted the Compressor preferences and let them be recreated.

So I'm basically out of options and ideas. No matter what I do, Compressor either crashes (SIGSEGV), returns a generic "failure" which could mean anything, returns mangled output, or seemingly goes into a loop and never completes. Can anyone point me towards anything that will help this process?

Again, I have 16mm film telecined to DV (interlaced, 29.97 fps). I'd like to end up with 23.98 progressive video using any codec that will work.

Thanks

Posted on Oct 12, 2018 12:53 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Reverse telecine problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.