Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X MFi Hearing Aids and iOS Failure

I bought my iPhone X 2 months ago and have chatted with tech support three times about the compatibility issues of iOS 11, 12 and now 12.1 and MFi Hearing Aids. I purposely bought these hearing aids ($4,000 for two) and I switched to an iPhone ($999) so I could go back to work as I finished my Bachelor's Degree in Human Resource Management and have been on Disability for about 3 years. I have also chatted with Apple Support on Twitter which the response I got (and I saved the chat) was "Sometimes an iPhone just doesn't work for everyone" - I then insisted on a refund and after this unprofessional reply from the Twitter Support agent - they then told me to go back to the store (sure.....I can do that with a 14 day return period and it's been 2 months) and work something out with Best Buy.

Anyway, the issues I have are that the hearing aids are not pairing with the iphone. Sometimes they pair and won't disconnect from the iphone (even if the hearing aids are off) and sometimes I have to 'forget the hearing aids' and repair them all together. Honestly, if something was "Made For iPhone"......why aren't they working?

In closing, I would like to thank Apple personally for allowing me to spend $999 on a device that doesn't live up to its promise. Is anyone else having issues like this?

iPhone X, iOS 12.0.1, MFi Hearing Aids

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 4:19 PM

5 replies

Oct 21, 2018 8:24 PM in response to Community User

I have had the same issue. It happens when receiving or making a call. The phone has a hard time trying to figure out what to connect to ( it finally does) and when it finally connects to my hearing aids, the party I’m trying to call or has called me has hung up. I am now on my 3rd “new” iPhone 10 and still have the same problem. I have had numerous calls and visits to both Apple and Verizon with no solution other than to swap out with another “new” phone. As with you because it is past 14 days, they won’t let me return iit. The point is, my hearing aids work fine with an iPhone 6s, making me think it is a “glitch “ with the 10. I would think the “lemon law” should be applicable in this situation.

Nov 1, 2018 8:38 AM in response to doolsen

Have you checked with your audiologist to see if there is a newer firmware update for your aids? I know that on some brands, issues between them and the iphone have been fixed by a firmware update on the hearing aids themselves. Also, and this is more drastic, have you tried doing a factory reset and setting your phone up as a new phone, rather than restoring from a backup? Occasionally that will help.

Finally, if you have an ipad or another iphone (wife, kids). Try unpairing from your phone and pairing to them. That might help isolate if it is a problem with the aids or the phone. I had to do that with my Starkeys once because things went awry when I did an IOS update. Worked better after I did the factory reset.

Nov 5, 2018 8:06 AM in response to doolsen

The only iPhone I have is the 10. I am so disappointed in this product for so many reasons, especially Apple Support's arrogant attitude, as they are no help and keep telling me, "The iPhone isn't for everyone". Honestly, this is the last Apple product I ever buy.

Nov 5, 2018 8:28 AM in response to Community User

If you look at the demographic that Apple caters to, you find that it is the younger, more "hip" set. Those of us with hearing disabilities are at best a niche, which I believe Apple only tries to appease to keep from getting negative press from disability rights groups. Most people requiring hearing aids are older than Apple's preferred demographic, so we tend to get the leavings.

There are things I love about the Iphone/Ipad/Mac, but there are things I definitely hate. I have to live in both worlds as I have to support Windows machines at my work.

Face it, we are just too small a group to be on Apple's radar.

Nov 5, 2018 8:04 AM in response to tbuzzard

I have. The devices I have are only 3 months old and they update themselves (or can be manually updated) through the app on my iPhone.

iPhone X MFi Hearing Aids and iOS Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.