Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac time machine started giving me errors yesterday. Have restarted several times, with errors. Have 330GB of HD left on backup. Get Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Seagate Backup Plus Drive”.

My mac time machine started giving me errors yesterday. Have restarted several times, with same error. Have 330GB of HD left on backup (1TB). Get error "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Seagate Backup Plus Drive”. I am Macbook PRO running OS 10.11 (no updates available), 1TB storage, with 750GB used up. Until last week it was backing up fine, until yesterday where it started posting errors. It just does 1/4 backup and stops. No new items have been added (except for a few photos).

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.1.1, Have 750GB on Mac HD (150GB left),

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 12:21 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 14, 2018 12:38 PM in response to Hh54

How old is the seagate drive? The 2.5" drives in particular seem to be much less reliable after a couple of years.

Do a verify of the backup via Time Machine.. and a check of the disk via Disk Utility in the Mac.. Tell us your results.

Also open the console and type backup into the search and see if there are more details for the actual errors.

Tesserax has posted several times how to get that info so you actually have details of the failure.

Re: "Oldest backups are deleted when your disk becomes full"

IMHO just buy a new disk.. and start a fresh backup.

I would also quit using TM as your main backup and move to Carbon Copy Cloner for example.. which is going to be a lot more reliable. Plus it can create a bootable clone to the External drive.

mac time machine started giving me errors yesterday. Have restarted several times, with errors. Have 330GB of HD left on backup. Get Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Seagate Backup Plus Drive”.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.