Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still use my timecapsule for backups if I get mesh

I'm contemplating mesh for wifi. I have a

802.11ac tower style time capsule.

I know nothing about this. I read that you can connect the time capsule to the mesh ethernet?

Can someone tell me how to do this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 4:08 PM

9 replies

Oct 14, 2018 6:30 PM in response to masskevinjames

Can I still use my time capsule for backups if I get mesh?

Probably, yes. Things should work, but this is not the same as saying that they will work......since this type of setup is not officially supported by Apple.

In other words, this may likely be one of those types of situations where you won't really know how well.....or if.....things will work until you try them out in your home. For that reason, it would be a good idea to understand the store's return policies before you buy.

If you could provide the make and model number of the mesh system that you are considering, it is possible that another user who sees this post might be using the same equipment with a Time Capsule and be able to provide more information about his/her experience with the setup.

If you are looking for step-by-step instructions, we really would need to know what mesh system you are considering, so we will know more about the capabilities and features of the product.

We would also need to know if the MacBook Pro that you list in your profile is still running the OS X El Capitan system, or whether you may have upgraded to a newer operating system.

Oct 14, 2018 7:15 PM in response to masskevinjames

Sorry, not much more that we can add that this point. Things should work, but this is not the same as saying that they will work......since this type of setup is not officially supported by Apple.

In other words, this may likely be one of those types of situations where you won't really know how well.....or if.....things will work until you try them out in your home. For that reason, it would be a good idea to understand the store's return policies before you buy.

If you decide to give the Ubiquiti system a try, post back for step by step instructions when you have the Ubiquiti system set up and working. Or, you might want to wait to see if another user has tried the Ubiquiti system with a Time Capsule and can provide more feedback.

We would also need to know if the MacBook Pro that you list in your profile is still running the OS X El Capitan system, or whether you may have upgraded to a newer operating system.

Oct 15, 2018 9:22 AM in response to masskevinjames

The Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD should work with the Time Capsule (TC) per your goal. The AmpliFi's router base station has five Ethernet ports; one for connecting to the Internet/WAN, and the other four for internal devices on your local network, like your TC. Note that none of the AmpliFi "nodes" have Ethernet ports so you won't be able to connect your TC to any of them.

Regardless, know the return policy where you purchase them, in case they don't work out for you.

Oct 15, 2018 10:27 AM in response to masskevinjames

Basically, yes. Just connect an Ethernet cable between one of the AmpliFi's Ethernet ports to the WAN (circle of dots) port on the TC. That will take care of the physical part. However, you will need to reconfigure the TC as it was your "main" router. As a minimum, you will need to reconfigure it as a bridge and disable its wireless radios so it doesn't interfere with the wireless network provided by the Ubiquiti mesh system.

Oct 15, 2018 11:01 AM in response to masskevinjames

I plan to put the Ubiquiti main station where my time capsule currently is. So I assume I'll just plug one of the time capsule ethernet ports into one of the Ubiquiti ethernet ports and it will be all set.

As far as a physical connection, you would connect an Ethernet cable from one of the four LAN <--> ports on the Ubiquiti router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Then....you will need to reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and the set it up to work with Ubiquiti router. The setup will consist of two main parts.....a basic setup, to get the TC working in a normal way with the Ubiquiti router, then some tweaks.....like turning off the WiFi on the Time Capsule, since you probably won't need another wireless network.....(unless you want to use the TC WiFi for guests, so you don't need to give the guests the password for your private Ubiquiti network.

Time Machine will also need to be reset on your Mac if you plan to back up over the Ubiquiti wireless.

As we mentioned above, we are happy to provide step-by-step instructions if you need them, but we would need to know what device......a Mac, etc.....that you will be using for the setup. If it is the MacBook Pro that you mention in your profile.....is the Mac still using the El Capitan operating system, or have you upgraded to a more recent version of the operating system?

A step-by-step setup won't really be of much use though.....until you have the Ubiquiti system set up and working. That is why we suggested that you get the Ubiquiti mesh system working......before.....you try to set up the Time Capsule.

It is not feasible to try to set up the Time Capsule to work with Ubiquiti router in advance......before you you have the new mesh system set up and working......if that might be what you are thinking.

Can I still use my timecapsule for backups if I get mesh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.