Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phantom "You have left the conversation" in a blank text

I just noticed today that I have a history in a blank text, with a blank sender showing that every day around 3am I'm leaving a conversation. It always shows at the bottom of my text message screen. Is this a security issue? I'm worried my phone is being monitored. When I click the information icon, it shows that my location is being shared. Below is a screenshot of the phantom text.

User uploaded file

iPhone 8, iOS 11.4.1, null

Posted on Oct 15, 2018 6:32 AM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2018 2:43 PM in response to abbyoiPhone

Hello abbyoiPhone,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble with a phantom text message, and I have some information that may help.

Just to put your mind at ease, it's very difficult to track or monitor your iPhone without installing custom software to do so, which would require having physical access to your iPhone. It is, however, possible to remove that message. From here I'd recommend deleting the message, force closing the app, and then restarting your iPhone. Have a look at the articles below to learn how.

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Delete a message or conversation

When you delete a message or conversation, you can't get it back. So make sure that you save important information from your messages.

To delete a message:

1. In a message conversation, touch and hold the message bubble that you want to delete, then tap More.
  2. Tap User uploaded file, then tap Delete Message. If you want to delete all messages in the thread, tap Delete All in the upper-left corner. Then tap Delete Conversation.

To delete a single conversation, swipe left over the conversation that you want to delete, tap Delete, then tap Delete again to confirm. To delete more than one conversation, open Messages and tap Edit in the upper-left corner. Then tap the circle next to the conversations and tap Delete in the bottom-right corner.

To keep your messages for a certain amount of time, go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages. Then select how long you want to keep your messages.

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
If the behavior persists or you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Phantom "You have left the conversation" in a blank text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.