Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anybody having CPU issues?

In the 2 years of owning Mainstage 3, I’ve experienced wonders of pads and interesting patches, the fact that you can stack patches to create your dream sound is great, it’s always been my dream to blend any timbre with strings or pads or both, the problem is when I combine sounds and tweek the sounds, it creates problems with

what they call CPU overload.

It causes glitches and can be awefully embarrassing, especially if your leading a song or starting an heart felt piano intro!

So, it makes me want to give up on keyboard software all together and throw that midi controller outta the window!

Any suggestions my fellow musicnauts?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 10, Mac is a 10.10.5

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 12:18 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 16, 2018 4:32 AM in response to danvasquez

In my experience, 13" MacBook Pro machines built prior to the introduction of discrete graphics cards to these models have significant issues running MainStage, often exhibiting very high CPU usage and audio glitches. I've seen this happen numerous times with friends/colleagues, and have read about it many times on forums like this one. I can virtually guarantee that you won't experience these issues with 1) a 15" retina MBP (because these have discrete graphics cards, taking load off the CPU for the intense graphics usage in MainStage), and 2) more recent models of MBP. I realise this isn't what you want to hear but it's almost certainly the reality.

As a test, can you note the CPU usage (as reported in MainStage) in both Edit and Performance modes and post the results? If the CPU usage is considerably higher in Performance mode, this will confirm what I've said. In every case I've seen with a 13" MBP without a discrete graphics card running MainStage, there has been a huge increase in CPU usage when in Performance mode, which should not be the case. If you're not seeing a big discrepancy in CPU usage between Edit and Performance modes, there could be another issue.

If you know someone with a 15" MBP or a recent model 13" MBP, try running MainStage with your concert on their machine and see if it makes a difference.

Oct 17, 2018 12:14 AM in response to danvasquez

Yes! I have also experienced the same thing when updating to MS 3.4. When running MS 3.3.2 on my 2014 MB Pro retina i7 w/16gb ram, everything was ok when using many patches such as memory intensive Keyscape, NI Kontakt samples, etc.

After updating to 3.4, I thought that everything would be ok as always. Boy was I wrong. I loaded my laptop in my bag and headed to church as always for practice with the band before service. I couldn't believe the number of CPU spikes that I was experiencing during practice which was (as you stated) very embarrassing as the spikes caused for crazy abnormal sounds to come through the sound system. Essentially, my system was unusable as practice had to stop many times which frustrated the singers and the rest of the full band! After about 5 instances of CPU spikes and terrible unwanted sounds, I decided to turn off the MS 3.4 and my 2014 MB Pro. Fortunately, I had also had my trusty old 2010 MB Pro (8gb ram) that handles MS 3.3.2 with almost no issues. So my 2010 MB Pro running MS 3.3.2 is more reliable than my 2014 MB Pro i7 w/16 gb ram running MS 3.4. Huh???

Therefore, MS 3.4 is sitting on the sidelines until Apple gets the CPU spikes resolved. Very embarrassing to say the least as I'm always promoting the software to professionals that play live gigs for a living. I've told many of them to avoid MS 3.4 for now.

Oct 21, 2018 7:25 AM in response to Madddcow

Thanks for the info. Yeah the only thing that made a difference, was I had delete the patch list I wasn’t using on all concerts, I can still go the previous template later if I choose and at the same time I rename the minimalized concert and I use that to perform, this problem is probably created when make your own custom layers. ***.

Anybody having CPU issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.