Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a new update for a Mac for. CR3 files?

I just got a Canon EOS R, but when I shoot raw, the files don’t show. I know adobe released an update recently for these files, but I’m curious if Apple has released theirs yet?

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 10:46 AM

There is a newer RAW support list for Mojave, OT, in case you missed it:

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 12 and macOS Mojave - Apple Support

It does not list a Canon EOS R either, but what I find interesting, it finally lists the compressed Canon RAW formats (also on the most recent version of the iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra -: raw support list)

• Canon mRAW
  • Canon sRAW

But still no trace of the newer, better compressed CR3 formats.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2018 10:46 AM in response to Old Toad

There is a newer RAW support list for Mojave, OT, in case you missed it:

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 12 and macOS Mojave - Apple Support

It does not list a Canon EOS R either, but what I find interesting, it finally lists the compressed Canon RAW formats (also on the most recent version of the iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra -: raw support list)

• Canon mRAW
  • Canon sRAW

But still no trace of the newer, better compressed CR3 formats.

Oct 16, 2018 10:30 AM in response to CunterJacobs35

According to this Apple document it appears that your camera is not yet supported: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support.

We have no idea when the next RAW update will be offered by Apple as we're just users like yourself.

In the meantime you can use the Adobe RAW Converter to convert the RAWS files to DNG files which is supported or just shoot the highest resolution JPEGS.

User uploaded file

Nov 29, 2018 11:21 PM in response to garage band guitar

RAW compatibility updates have only been released as a part of a system updates since macOS 10.12 Sierra. The list for RAW support on El Capitan is the last list to mention separate RAW compatibility updates, see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205272

I have not seen any new separate RAW Compatibility update since Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.21 on El Capitan.

Jan 4, 2019 7:53 AM in response to ImperialEagle

Unfortunately, I drew a blank with Apple Support as they said they could not escalate it any further ! Surely the Apple Developers would like to see it ?

Then you may want the Developer bug reporter. This will allow you submit a very detailed bug report with crash logs and configuration files, but it requires some extra work.

See this user tip: Detailed and Effective Bug Reporting - Apple Community

Dec 6, 2018 4:55 PM in response to CunterJacobs35

Mac OS Mojave (10.14.2) now has Canon EOS R RAW compatibility in the update. I'll have to say it's been a very buggy experience so far. In my case the RAW images import into Photos just fine but Photos can't display a preview. The images are visible inside the Photos package in finder (image can be viewed in Preview too). A representative from Apple Support was pretty confident that repairing my Photos library would fix the problem. We'll see soon.

Jan 4, 2019 7:07 AM in response to DDR56

Yep .CR3 are supported .. but if you like me are trying to import and SD card with .CR3) file to an iPad or iPhone I have had a lot of issues.

I have been able to identify an individual .CR3 file (created using my EOS R, which causes the Apple Photos to crash on my iPad Pro (2018) and iPhone 7 Plus, when trying to IMPORT to IOS Photos. 

I believe other Users have seen this problem too. Some .CR3 files Import okay, but then Photos bombs out.

I can't see anything wrong with the .CR3 Raw file and it copies fine on High Sierra Photos / Mojave Photos / Lightroom / Photoshop amongst others. ie). It is able to be read via USB and edited via many products. IOS sees it too, once it is copied to Photos.

No other program has an issue, it is just on the IMPORT.

It just seems to be a problem with Apple Photos import. Which is a shame, as I wanted to only take my iPad on travels. USB-C to SD Cable is used for this function. Handy way to back-up your camera SD card to iPad right !! Hmm ..

So, I would hope Canon and Apple would like to look at this .CR3 file to see if there is a problem either with Canon file format or to help get Apple recognise the .CR3 file when doing IOS Photos Import ... 

Unfortunately, I drew a blank with Apple Support as they said they could not escalate it any further ! Surely the Apple Developers would like to see it ?

Note: Apple IOS Photos crashes only on IMPORTing to Apple IOS PHOTOS. This particular RAW file is quite readable otherwise.

Is there a new update for a Mac for. CR3 files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.