Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is IMAP and what password do I use

What is IMAP and what password do I use?

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 11:46 AM

Hello,

While POP, or Post Office Protocol, used to be the most popular type of email protocol, IMAP - or Internet Message Access Protocol - is the go-to choice of most people these days.

As its name implies, IMAP allows you to access your email messages wherever you are; much of the time, it is accessed via the Internet. Basically, email messages are stored on servers. Whenever you check your inbox, your email client contacts the server to connect you with your messages. When you read an email message using IMAP, you aren't actually downloading or storing it on your computer; instead, you are reading it off of the server. As a result, it's possible to check your email from several different devices without missing a thing.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/imap

The password would depend on the provider, if it's iCloud then normally it'd be Your Apple ID password.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2018 11:46 AM in response to Selim24

Hello,

While POP, or Post Office Protocol, used to be the most popular type of email protocol, IMAP - or Internet Message Access Protocol - is the go-to choice of most people these days.

As its name implies, IMAP allows you to access your email messages wherever you are; much of the time, it is accessed via the Internet. Basically, email messages are stored on servers. Whenever you check your inbox, your email client contacts the server to connect you with your messages. When you read an email message using IMAP, you aren't actually downloading or storing it on your computer; instead, you are reading it off of the server. As a result, it's possible to check your email from several different devices without missing a thing.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/imap

The password would depend on the provider, if it's iCloud then normally it'd be Your Apple ID password.

What is IMAP and what password do I use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.