Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Battery health 99% normal?

Heya!

Uhm well, the title basically already describes my question. Is it normal that after not even a month of use the overall battery health (capacity) is 99%? It's not like I have used the iPhone more than all my other iPhones within a month from launch.

My iPhone 7 Plus is at 89% battery health after more than two years. That's pretty normal in my opinion. But if I compare it to my iPhone XS, this isn't normal. Or is it? Can there be something wrong with the battery? Or is it me?

User uploaded file

*Maximumcapaciteit means "Maximum capacity" = overall battery health of the iPhone

iPhone Xs, iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 17, 2018 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 10:32 AM

That depends entirely on your usage.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

27 replies

Dec 17, 2018 8:49 AM in response to karthikmyluv

Battery health starts to decline the moment the battery is manufactured. The Battery Health indicator is reasonably but not perfectly accurate. You'll see both ups and downs. If the battery health goes below 80% before the end of the one year warranty, Apple will replace it at no charge. So, check it again when you've head your phone for 10 months.

Jan 5, 2019 10:50 PM in response to karthikmyluv

I recently got the battery replaced on my iphone x under the battery replacement scheme. I got my phone diagnosed like 100 times earlier and complained that there was some issue with the battery and my phone used to heat up near the side button area but no respite from apple’s side. My health reduced to 83% in 359 cycles which is not normal. U should definitely get ur phone checked. Mine was not under warranty so couldn’t do much.

Jan 6, 2019 6:20 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Ill tell u the actual problem... i had booked my battery on 5th dec 2018 when they noted my cycle counts at 346 and battery health at 86%. My battery came on 22 dec 2018 and by then the counts were 359 and battery health had fallen to 83%. Also, i had got my phone checked at one the apple authorised service centres in october first week when counts were 298 and battery heath was had fallen abruptly from 93% to 90%. So there was some issue with the battery for sure and apple didn’t admit.

Feb 6, 2019 9:19 AM in response to TommyWi

now my battery capacity is at 96%. after full day heavy use of GPS apps (waze) my phone battery degrading 2% (few days ago it’s 98%). so i assume this new L shape battery is having bad heat resistance compare to square battery shapes. is anyone having same issue after heavy use of GPS apps/navigation apps?

None of this is an “issue”. The battery health data is merely an estimate of your battery’s performance. My iPhone 8 is a year old now and it’s at 97%. it dropped from 100% to 98% a few days after I bought it but a year later it’s still 97%. Your battery is not defective, you don’t need a new battery, Apple is not being nefarious and trying to get you to buy a new iPhone. And don’t make assumptions about the L shaped battery somehow being at fault.

Feb 6, 2019 9:48 AM in response to TommyWi

now my battery capacity is at 96%. after full day heavy use of GPS apps (waze) my phone battery degrading 2% (few days ago it’s 98%). so i assume this new L shape battery is having bad heat resistance compare to square battery shapes. is anyone having same issue after heavy use of GPS apps/navigation apps?

Constantly checking the battery health will not accomplish anything. Unless you're having a problem with your device or you're nearing the end of your warranty and want to see if you need to have the battery replace, the battery health percent doesn't tell you anything useful. .

Feb 9, 2019 6:34 AM in response to 107552

I had the same issue. After 2-3 weeks w a new XS manufactured in Dec 18 it showed 99% health. I took it to the Apple Store and tests showed high CPU usage and a logic board failure. They had be setup as new and after a week went back and same issue. They replaced the device w a new one. Will see how this one does. I would not just assume it’s software or a battery health meter. It’s not normal

Feb 9, 2019 6:34 AM in response to 107552

I had the same issue. After 2-3 weeks w a new XS manufactured in Dec 18 it showed 99% health. I took it to the Apple Store and tests showed high CPU usage and a logic board failure. They had be setup as new and after a week went back and same issue. They replaced the device w a new one. Will see how this one does. I would not just assume it’s software or a battery health meter. It’s not normal

iPhone XS Battery health 99% normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.