Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air memory storage problem

in my Macbook air my memory storage 77gb of 120gb is been taken by "other" i searched in the website and done all the steps they told to optimize (delete coaches, downloads, files ... etc), but how is it possible that i still have 77gb of other memory being used up?

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Posted on Oct 17, 2018 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2018 1:20 PM

This is the only Apple information I could find:

In OS X El Capitan or earlier, “Other” files are those that your Mac doesn't recognize as belonging to any other category. These include files within disk images or archives, data stored by apps such as Contacts or Calendar, and app plug-ins or extensions. When your Mac is in Safe Mode, all files are categorized as Other.

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2018 1:20 PM in response to PettyMk7.5

This is the only Apple information I could find:

In OS X El Capitan or earlier, “Other” files are those that your Mac doesn't recognize as belonging to any other category. These include files within disk images or archives, data stored by apps such as Contacts or Calendar, and app plug-ins or extensions. When your Mac is in Safe Mode, all files are categorized as Other.

Barry

Oct 18, 2018 11:25 AM in response to PettyMk7.5

Barry's answer is correct but a bit incomplete. What he left out is that Spotlight is buggy and tends to 'lose track' of file types. Since Other is everything else, when Spotlight loses what kind of file it is looking it, it becomes Other. While Spotlight isn't good (over time) at identifying how much space is devoted to a specific file type, it is usually accurate about total drive space in use.

To rebuilt the Spotlight database follow these instructions: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

If the report doesn't change try this terminal method: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/apple/terminal-101-rebuild-the-spotli ght-index-on-the-fly-1305684

Since the "Other" files can be anything, looking for the "Other" is a waste of time. But we do know that the files most likely to be taking up lots of space are media files which are in the Pictures, Movies, and Music folders.

MacBook Air memory storage problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.