You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone seen a green dot while video chatting using an iPhone X?

note: i have an iPhone X, running on iOS 12.0.1.

I was video chatting with my mate on messenger and I flipped to the rear camera to show him something, we both noticed a green dot wherever I would point my camera, it looked like a green laser pointer that we used to play with when we were kids. My friend noticed it and asked me what is that?! I have no clue. I pointed my camera onto different obstacles and the green laser point was still there, I put my hand in front of the camera lense but nothing is emitted on my hand but when i point it at a wall or a car it would appear. By the way this was the first time it happened. So if anybody has any idea about what that green laser dot is please reply back to me.

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 12:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 7:07 PM

Hi ​Sam114218,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that occassionally when using the rear camera on your iPhone X you'll notice a small green dot when pointing your camera. I know it's important to be sure your camera is working as expected; I'd like to help. It sounds like you may be describing a lens flare which can be caused by certain lighting conditions, typically when pointing the camera directly at bright sources of light:

When you take a photo or video on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you might see a flare, haze, or reflected spot.

You might see these unexpected light effects when incoming light (usually from outside the field of view) is at an angle and reflects off the surfaces inside the camera. If this happens, move the camera slightly to change the position of the light, or shield the lens with your hand.

Get more help if you see a closed lens or black screen, your photos are blurred or out of focus, your flash isn't working, or you don't see the Camera app.

If you see a flare, haze, or spot near the edge of your photo or video

Best Regards.
1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2018 7:07 PM in response to Sam114218

Hi ​Sam114218,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that occassionally when using the rear camera on your iPhone X you'll notice a small green dot when pointing your camera. I know it's important to be sure your camera is working as expected; I'd like to help. It sounds like you may be describing a lens flare which can be caused by certain lighting conditions, typically when pointing the camera directly at bright sources of light:

When you take a photo or video on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you might see a flare, haze, or reflected spot.

You might see these unexpected light effects when incoming light (usually from outside the field of view) is at an angle and reflects off the surfaces inside the camera. If this happens, move the camera slightly to change the position of the light, or shield the lens with your hand.

Get more help if you see a closed lens or black screen, your photos are blurred or out of focus, your flash isn't working, or you don't see the Camera app.

If you see a flare, haze, or spot near the edge of your photo or video

Best Regards.

Has anyone seen a green dot while video chatting using an iPhone X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.