Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard and Mouse In Windows 10

I have a MacBook Pro and a Windows 10 PC.

I would like to be able to work with Apple magic 2 mouse and Magic (Gry Space) wireless keyboard on the PC using Windows 10.

I have download and install Bootcamp drivers for Windows, but regretfully have been unsucessfull to apply Apple drivers to these Bluetooth devices unders Windos 10.

The drivers for Windows are already made, BUT to use them under Windows 10 the .INF file made by Apple must be well written, accessible, to Windows 10.

As of now, I can use both devices but basic FN keys (sound volume, next/prev) do not work at all. Mouse wheel neither works.

A real Shame. I ask Apple to let us fully access our input devices when using a PC.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), Windows 10, intel PC using Windows 10 Pro

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 3:08 AM

Many thanks again for your replies and help.

To make the narration short, this Sunday morning I have turned on the PC, while the MBPro is off on the same table, and the Light was made! It instantaneously was paired.

It seems everything has been settled down. The BC drivers were manually installed as you (strongly) advice me.

And now this is my Device Manager:

User uploaded file

The Magic Mouse 2 works, buttons and SCROLL ! Finally. Thank you.

But the FN keys (Media nd Volume) still refuse to work.

fn+F7 (with previous arrow sign) works as Pause. And Command+F15 that worked as screen capture does nothing now.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2018 3:08 AM in response to Loner T

Many thanks again for your replies and help.

To make the narration short, this Sunday morning I have turned on the PC, while the MBPro is off on the same table, and the Light was made! It instantaneously was paired.

It seems everything has been settled down. The BC drivers were manually installed as you (strongly) advice me.

And now this is my Device Manager:

User uploaded file

The Magic Mouse 2 works, buttons and SCROLL ! Finally. Thank you.

But the FN keys (Media nd Volume) still refuse to work.

fn+F7 (with previous arrow sign) works as Pause. And Command+F15 that worked as screen capture does nothing now.

Oct 24, 2018 7:27 AM in response to federicoplaton

I found out pressing bottom left key FN, on the On Screen Keyboard, turns top numerical row to Function keys F1-F12,

Shortcuts, like F7, F11, do work on apps like Photoshop when the FN es engaged.

But nothing more.

Some extra findings:

Playing music on itunes for Windows:

fn+F10 is the contextual menu, right mouse button, no other key combination (fn+ F1-18) does anything.

• On Groove Music:

No Fn keys does something, except fn+F7: Pause

• On Windows media Player (that's interesting)

fn+F7: Mute Sound fn+F8: reduces volume fn+F9: increases volume

I am using a US layout Bluetooth Magic keyboard (+numerical or extended) grey space and Windows 10 language is English (United States)

Oct 19, 2018 2:19 PM in response to Loner T

Yes. it's a MacBook Pro 15"Touchbar of 2017.

I wish to work with the Wireless Magic Keyboard (Grey Space) and Magic 2 mouse on my PC using Windows 10.

I repeat on a PC with Windows 10.

On the MBP with OSX have no problem at all.

Current functionality of these input devices are limited, incomplete, because though the drivers are there the .inf file to use those drivers in Windows 10 does not work. At least thats the conclusion I have arrived at.

Oct 20, 2018 1:36 AM in response to Loner T

The keyboard works (Bluetooth devices: AppleMagic connected) for typing, but FN keys for Previous/Next or Volume up/down do not work. The Magic mouse 2, works with left and right button, BUT there is no Scrolling and even less side swipe gestures.

No, everything is ok in Device Manager:

Under Keyboards I have: HID Keyboard Device

In Device Properties>General Tab: Keyboards (StandardKeyboards) on BluetoothHID Device

> Driver Tab: Microsoft 6/21/2006 10.0 18262 1000

Now, if I click on Update Driver says: The best drivers for your device are already installed.

If I click below now: Search for Updated drivers on Windows Update: My Windows 10 is Windows 10 Insider Preview 18262.1000 (rs_prerelease).

Therefore I go back to Update Driver, and choose Browse my Computer for drivers software, I choose a folder where I have uncompressed: AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe from Bootcamp (5.1.5722*), which includes: KeyMagic.sys and KeyMagic64.inf among other files. I understand the .sys is the main driver file, while the .inf is the requested info file for instllating devices in Windows.

When I click Next, a window appears telling The best drivers for your device are already installed.

Moving back again to: Let me pick from a list of available drivers in my computer > Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. I click the button: Have Disk, and move to the folder where the KeyMagic64.inf is.

An small window finally says:

The folder you specified doesn't contain compatible software ....make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based system.

The question, if the driver (already) exist there is some way to make it discoverable and install it on a PC using Windows 10, ¿or purposedly it is non allowed?

The problem trying to install

(*) Does a later Bootcamp version contains drivers compatible and installable in Windows 10 on a PC?

Oct 20, 2018 7:21 AM in response to Loner T

Please forget I have a MacBook Pro, where everything works OK as I only have OSX Mojave. Nothing else. I do not need and I am not interested in -ever- using Windows 10 on a Apple machine.

My problem is trying to install and use the Apple drivers for these devices, namely, Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Keyboard on a PC using Windows 10.

They are recognized and connected via Bluetooth, and the primary functions work, typing and clicking buttons.

BUT, the scroll on this mouse is not available (even less swipe gestures), and FN keys of the keyboard do nothing there too.

Why this happens? Because the apple drivers are not installed. Apple has done the hard work of writing the drivers code that allow using the keyboard and mouse on a Apple running Windows with Bootcamp. But the installation file .inf, as far as i know and tried, does not allow or is unable to load/install those drivers (available on Bootcamp for Windows) on a Windows 10 installed on PCs.

I hope this clears and explain the situation, I want to use the Volume keys of the keyboard and scroll using this mouse, connected to a PC under Windows 10.

Thank you.

Oct 20, 2018 9:06 AM in response to federicoplaton

federicoplaton wrote:

I hope this clears and explain the situation, I want to use the Volume keys of the keyboard and scroll using this mouse, connected to a PC under Windows 10.

The same set of steps can be re-used. Once you have created the USB2 Flash drive on the Mac, move it to the Windows PC, and then, manually, install each driver that you need on the PC.

Oct 20, 2018 3:56 PM in response to Loner T

I have connected a USB 2 pendrive to the MacBook Pro and it's already formatted as FAT.

I do not understand the second step: Run BC Assistant -> Action -> Download, as I do not have BootCamp installed on the MacBook, as I have told you already, I use just the OSX Mojave for running Adobe apps.

Do I have to install Bootcamp?

Meanwhile, I did something you had suggested in the past: I got Brigadier and downloaded BootCamp drivers (v. 6.1) and place them with Bootcamp.msi in a folder and installed them. But still Windows 10 chooses to use Microsoft drivers and the steps detailed before have been unsucessfull (Update drivers>Have disk --> go the folder where the .inf and .sys are).

Oct 20, 2018 4:27 PM in response to federicoplaton

federicoplaton wrote:

I do not understand the second step: Run BC Assistant -> Action -> Download, as I do not have BootCamp installed on the MacBook, as I have told you already, I use just the OSX Mojave for running Adobe apps. Do I have to install Bootcamp?

Bootcamp Assistant is in Applications -> Utilities -> Bootcamp Assistant. It can be used to either install Windows or download BC drivers. You do not need to install Windows, but you need to Download the drivers only.

federicoplaton wrote:

Meanwhile, I did something you had suggested in the past: I got Brigadier and downloaded BootCamp drivers (v. 6.1) and place them with Bootcamp.msi in a folder and installed them. But still Windows 10 chooses to use Microsoft drivers and the steps detailed before have been unsucessfull (Update drivers>Have disk --> go the folder where the .inf and .sys are).

You need to install individual drivers manually. Bootcamp.msi will not work, since you have a Windows PC.

Oct 20, 2018 4:49 PM in response to federicoplaton

Oh, excuse I found it out, the menu line for Action. Well I did it, Windows Support folder with drivers was created on a USB and then I connected the pendrive to my PC.

Inside the folder are two subfolders: $WinPEDriver$, Bootcamp and a xml file

Inside BootCamp is another Drivers folder and inside an Apple one, and 5 others.

Inside are an AppleKeyboardInstaller 64.exe, and a AppleWirelessMouse64.exe I have extracted to, using the 7-Zip utility to respective folders.

Then I open Device Manager and search for the keyboard.

I try to update the Microsoft keyboard driver and go to Have Disk option, Choose the subfolder I extracted the files to, that include a KeyMagic64.inf.

But the answer I get on a tiny window says:

The folder you specified does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contais a river, make it is designed to work with windows for x64 based systems.

What I am doing wrong then ?

I cannot try the same with the Magic 2 Mouse because the option for adding Bluetooth devices does not find now the mouse and cannot pair it.

(Not sure if I delete a required file before reinstalling Apple files now).

Do I need to install any BroadCom Bluetooth driver too?, I think I did it some time ago.

Oct 22, 2018 8:42 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks again for your help and patience.

Well both devices, Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Keyboard (wireless extended) are installed correctly as shown in Device Manager capture attached.

I have now the Media Next/Pause/Previous keys working BUT still the most needed Volume Up/Down keys do not work at all.

Could you please help me with that?

Thanks again.

(I have seen a video talking about some OSX drivers: keymagic64.inf_amd64_ ..... that update the already installed Bootcamp drivers, not sure if they are really needed for accessing Volume keys on windows 10 on my PC).

Oct 22, 2018 1:37 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks,

But what about the Volme control keys still not working?

Do you know how could i make them work on the PC ?

Thanks again.

(I have seen a video talking about some OSX drivers: keymagic64.inf_amd64_ ..... that update the already installed Bootcamp drivers, not sure if they are really needed for accessing Volume keys on windows 10 on my PC. After that the volumen control icon appeared on the screen).

Magic Keyboard and Mouse In Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.