Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time

Just opened the box for a brand new iPhone 6s and tried to activate it.

After putting in the wifi password it then informed me there was an "Activation Error".

The fine print said to restore the phone and install the latest version of IOS and attempt again.

Read a few posts on support and tried to restore phone to no avail as each time I plugged it into my Apple and connected to iTunes I got the above message. Can anyone explain what is going on? The phone should be unlocked so I am a bit stumped.

iPhone 6, Can't check the IOS version

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 6:00 AM

Julian Mather,

Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes (12.8) and see this:

If you can‘t activate your iPhone

Good luck.

2 replies

Oct 20, 2018 1:47 AM in response to Julian Mather

A quick update.

Not sure why but after sleeping on it I tried the restore again and it worked and then plugged it into my iMac and not my daughters MacAir and it worked. I have since done some testing and it would appear that even though her Air has iTunes 12.8.0.15 it is very temprimental and often does not recognise her phone when she plugs it in. I have done the usual restarts and updates but there appears to be a glitch that persists. Anyway, still not sure why the restore was necessary in the first place and then why it initially would not do it. Her MacAir certainly muddied the waters with its intermittent connecting but all good now although a couple of lost hours I am not going to get back along with a spike in blood pressure. :-)

We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.