Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Motion 5 Lost Templates

In a recent system upgrade Motion 4 became incompatible. So, I upgraded to Motion 5. Now Motion 5 does not have the range or diversity of templates that were previously within the package. How can I restore these templates?

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 3:51 AM

A whole lot of those old Motion 4 templates were ... ahem... junk. If you check the Motion menu, you should see a Download Additional Content link... The *best* of those old templates have been updated for Motion 5. Among those will be Atmospheric, Decode, Pulse, Skyline, Snap, Splash, Swarm and Vine. I believe Atom Strand and Rotation HD are in there too under the 3D Text category, and once installed, they will be accessible from the Open dialog from the left column under Compositions.

Since you had Motion 4, installing Motion 5 did not remove those old templates — you still have them. You can find them here:

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Studio/Motion/Templates/

They will all open in Motion 5. However, there are some filters and generators (and miscellaneous other things) that have been deprecated and removed over the years, so not everything may work as it should. Examples would be Primatte RT, Droste, etc... all of the LiveFonts are gone though and all you can do is quietly (and briefly) morn their passing and move on. They won't be coming back.

HTH

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2018 3:51 AM in response to peterfromyandina

A whole lot of those old Motion 4 templates were ... ahem... junk. If you check the Motion menu, you should see a Download Additional Content link... The *best* of those old templates have been updated for Motion 5. Among those will be Atmospheric, Decode, Pulse, Skyline, Snap, Splash, Swarm and Vine. I believe Atom Strand and Rotation HD are in there too under the 3D Text category, and once installed, they will be accessible from the Open dialog from the left column under Compositions.

Since you had Motion 4, installing Motion 5 did not remove those old templates — you still have them. You can find them here:

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Studio/Motion/Templates/

They will all open in Motion 5. However, there are some filters and generators (and miscellaneous other things) that have been deprecated and removed over the years, so not everything may work as it should. Examples would be Primatte RT, Droste, etc... all of the LiveFonts are gone though and all you can do is quietly (and briefly) morn their passing and move on. They won't be coming back.

HTH

Oct 19, 2018 10:25 AM in response to peterfromyandina

Go into your user folder

Open

~/Movies/Motion Templates/Compositions

Create a folder called Motion 4 (or anything else you want)

Open /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Studio/Motion/Templates

Select All

Drag to the Motion 4 folder you created in Compositions.

All those old projects will be available in the open dialog browser. (You may need to restart Motion.)

Oct 19, 2018 4:13 PM in response to fox_m

fox_m,

Thankyou. I use Motion in my classes to encourage students enhance their multimodal presentations. While some of the templates are a bit "yawn!" they do provide some creative opportunities when the students identify with and creatively manipulate within the project pane and timeline. So, thankyou. If you have any hints or tips that may assist my goals I would be very grateful.

regards

Pete

Oct 19, 2018 8:17 PM in response to peterfromyandina

Hints and tips? I don't think I could be much help there. I wouldn't dare presume I would know how best to help your students. I would need to know more about your specific goals to formulate an approach.

How are your students preparing their "multimodal presentations"? Working entirely in Motion? Or Final Cut with the Motion templates? If the latter, then concentrate on publishing parameters to allow customization in Final Cut. Working entirely in Motion is a whole other kettle of fish.

If your students run into technical trouble, you can always direct them here 😉

Upgrade to Motion 5 Lost Templates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.