Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does "Status: Double NAT" mean?

I set up my Airport Express (2nd Gen) yesterday using my iPhone (running iOS 12.0). I have connected my MacBook Pro (running High Sierra) to it. I am able to access the internet on both devices, however the status light on my Airport is flashing amber. I opened my airport utility on my Mac and when I clicked on the device it said "Status: Double NAT." I'm not sure what this means, and honestly I'm not sure if it requires my attention since both my phone and computer are successfully connected to the internet (as far as I can tell). Does anyone know what this status means and how to fix it? Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 12, null

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 8:35 AM

Sometimes, you can get away with a Double NAT error, but the network will not run as efficiently this way. You would want to avoid this error if possible, though.

On your iPhone.....

Go to the Home Screen

Tap on AirPort Utility

Tap on the picture of the AirPort Express

Tap on Status Messages

Tap Edit Setting

Tap on Router Mode

Tap on Off (Bridge Mode)

Tap Back

Tap Done

Tap Done

Tap Done

Tap Update

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2018 8:35 AM in response to aquarianibis

Sometimes, you can get away with a Double NAT error, but the network will not run as efficiently this way. You would want to avoid this error if possible, though.

On your iPhone.....

Go to the Home Screen

Tap on AirPort Utility

Tap on the picture of the AirPort Express

Tap on Status Messages

Tap Edit Setting

Tap on Router Mode

Tap on Off (Bridge Mode)

Tap Back

Tap Done

Tap Done

Tap Done

Tap Update

What does "Status: Double NAT" mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.