Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Email used by another Apple ID”

So I’ve been trying to change the email associated with my Apple ID but it keeps on showing this message. I’ve tried changing it both on the Apple ID website by going to the account settings, as well as trying to change it on my phone settings. I’ve double checked that the new email I wish to use is not added as a backup email for my Apple ID so this cannot be the problem. The email I want to use is quite new so it’s unlikely that this could be the case. Please reply if you have any ideas for how to fix this.

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 12:16 PM

The email address you're trying to use apparently is being used by someone...

You should probably contact Apple's account security team directly.

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

4 replies

Nov 21, 2018 12:10 AM in response to KiltedTim

I actually created a completely new Apple ID using the desired email but I deleted the ID shortly after, when I realised I could just simply change it in the settings. Maybe somehow it hasn’t realised it’s deletion? Plus I tried logging in to the Apple ID of the email I want to use and it says it doesn’t exist, which is what I expected. So surely no one else is using it?

Oct 19, 2018 12:59 PM in response to Community User

No, but when you created a completely new Apple ID with that email address, Apple ID's don't die, so in reality it is being used by another user. Unfortunately, that user is indeed you. I'd recommend you speak with Apple Support. I don't know if they'd be willing to delete the Apple ID you created with that email address or not, but they're the ones to ask.

“Email used by another Apple ID”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.