Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XBox 360 Network Adapter

I can't get my xbox network adapter to recognize my airport extreme when I enable security. When I leave the security off the Airport extreme, my xbox 360 network adapter WILL connect. However , when I enable security (WEP or WPA2) my xbox doesn't even recognize the network. Please help?

24inch iMac Mac OS X (10.4.8) bla bla bla

Posted on Feb 17, 2007 3:52 PM

12 replies

Feb 17, 2007 5:20 PM in response to blucolla

This is a known problem when security is enabled. I'm sure it will be fixed with a patch sometime as Apple's engineers are aware of the problem.

The two Apple wireless solutions are:

1) Disable security. For some measure of "feel good" after doing this you can (a) disable the SSID and (b) lower the power of the wireless. This makes the network harder to see. You can also only allow the MAC addresses of your known units to connect. All of these might give you enough comfort to be happy with the solution.

2) Go pseudo-wired. Use an Airport Express in WDS mode as a wireless bridge and then hooking your XBox360 to it. The Airport Express supports 802.11g and WPA just fine. I happened to have one and so this is my temporary solution.

A third option is to leave your old access point sitting behind the Airport Extreme and let it serve your XBox360 until this blows over.

I hope this helps,
Hunter

Apr 5, 2007 12:14 AM in response to blucolla

I just purchased the Airport Extreme. Im have the same problem with the security on(WEP/WPA/WPA2 Personal). My PS3 detects the router with no problem. My Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii will not detect the router. I did do a temporary walkaround by disabling the security, making a SSID Name for the AEBS and the making it a closed network. So in order to connect, you would have to know the name of the router. My PS3 and Xbox 360 work this way, but my Nintendo Wii still will not connect.

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Apr 6, 2007 3:20 PM in response to blucolla

Geez, don't disable wireless security or bother with WEP. Just this week some folks demonstrated a way to crack in in 3 seconds (not an exaggeration). Instead, unless you have a pure-n network (most of us don't), do the following:

Go to the Airport Utility and double-click on your base station. Select the Wireless tab. Next to Radio Mode is a drop-down box; Option-click on that drop-down box. Doing so reveals several additional options not normally visible, including the one you need: "802.11b/g compatible" Select that one, then Option-click on the Wireless Security drop-down box and select "WPA Personal."

These settings limit you to 54 mbps on your wireless LAN but you don't have to give up strong security, you still get great range and very good speed. Until M$ updates the 360 to fix compatibility with n-capable devices, this solution works well.

Apr 8, 2007 9:10 PM in response to Herb Schaltegger

I have it working with both my Wii and Xbox 360 but I am still confused on how this works.
Here is what I did and I will explain why I am confused:
1. The Airport setup that gets installed with the setup disk only allowed WPA encrypt. Both Xbox and Wii won't work with this.
2. I disabled encrypt through the airport setup util.
3. I then ran the airport setup assistant and enabled WEP 128 bit encrypt. using my 26 char. password.
4. Setup both xbox 360 and wii and both work great.

Now to the confusing part. Today I installed the latest update to the airport extreme and when I ran the Airport utility it show I have no security and when I tried to run the airport setup assistant the icon has disappeared. I did a spotlight search and it found the AP setup assistant on my backup drive so this latest update must delete it. I then copied it back to my utilities folder and ran it and it shows I have WEP 128 encrypt. So do I actually have security on my APE? I have WEP 128 with the password on all 3 of my mac's, Wii, & Xbox so it is obviously taking it.

So basically this should help some people to get this to work but I need to figure out if I actually have security and why did the AP setup assistant work for this?
Any thoughts?

XBox 360 Network Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.