Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27 mid-2011 as target display

I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet but I have this scenario;

My current set up is the iMac Pro 2017 (High Sierra) while using my iMac 27" mid-2011 (Sierra) as a target display and it works great so far for what I need. Noting that the older iMac is incompatible for the new upgrade (doesn't support Metal), and I've seen other forums noting issues with Target Display Mode, my question is this:

• Will this remain compatible if I upgrade to Mojave? Has it been tested?
  • Does anyone else have this same (somewhat) setup and upgraded? Any issues?
  • Specifically, does it work?

I've come to really rely on the second monitor for workflow and such. And would hate to see that I have to ditch the iMac for a new monitor (more cost).

I know I could set up a new partition and test, but before I dig in and take the time to do so—since my time is limited—I thought I would throw this out and see if someone has already tested.

Thanks in advance!

iMac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), iMac mid-2011

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 1:33 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 19, 2018 2:16 PM in response to dsparks66

I don’t have an iMac Pro, but I do have a MBP running Mojave, and a 2011 21.5” iMac (running High Sierra).

The iMac works fine in Target Display Mode with the MBP, just as it always has.

Remember: always have a full clone of your system, and confirm that it boors your mac (in addition to having a Time Machine backup), before you upgrade to a new OS. This way if anything goes wrong you can quickly get back to where you were before.

iMac 27 mid-2011 as target display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.