Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XML won't Import to Final Cut

I have an XML file I am trying to import from dropbox to Final Cut X, but when I try and import it I get a message that

says the file could not be imported. Has anyone else encountered this, and do you know what might cause it or what the solution would be? I've attached a screenshot of the error below. Thanks!

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 8:49 PM

16 replies

Oct 22, 2018 5:53 AM in response to Mary Margaret

The version seems ok (1.7; the current version supports writing 1.8 and 1.7, so that should not be a problem.

It seems a bit odd that there are several <format> tags without any <asset> tags, but I can't say for sure if that is normal.

The error message suggests some text elements have an attribute that is unknown: "roll-up-height".

You may look here: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/FinalCutProX/Reference /FinalCutProXXMLFormat/Adjustments/Adjus…

to see what "roll-up-height" means (I did not know it either).

You may also make a copy of the xml file and open it with BBEdit.

Maybe editing or remove these fields may allow the xml file to be imported.

(Of course, there is great potential for making the file invalid, that is why one should always make a copy).

If you want, you may post the whole file somewhere so we can download and take a look, or send it to me by e-mail (lichinho at icloud dot com).

Oct 21, 2018 10:11 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I will check with the colorist on that. Here are some of the first lines from the text edit version of the XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE fcpxml>

<fcpxml version="1.7">

<resources>

<format name="FFVideoFormat3840x2160p2398" id="r0" width="3840" height="2160" frameDuration="1001/24000s"/>

<format name="FFVideoFormatRateUndefined" id="r7" width="0" height="0" frameDuration="1001/24000s"/>

<format name="FFVideoFormat1080p5994" id="r110" width="1920" height="1080" frameDuration="1001/60000s"/>

<effect name="Letterbox" uid=".../Effects.localized/Stylize.localized/Letterbox.localized/Letterbox.moef " id="r2"/>

<effect name="Letterbox" uid=".../Effects.localized/Stylize.localized/

Oct 23, 2018 5:07 AM in response to Mary Margaret

Mary Margaret wrote:

Ok, thanks! I'll look into that. I emailed over the file if you're interested in taking a look.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

I opened your xml file with BBEdit. There were 8 occurrences of a tag with the

roll-up-height attribute. I deleted them and the resulting file opened in FCP X. Of course I do not have the media, so all the files are missing, but the project opens in the timeline and it looks good.

I will send you the resulting file back by e-mail.

Let us know how that goes.

Oct 28, 2018 2:51 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I may be a little confused on how re-linking works, but if I try to relink one of the missing files, I can select the original file I used before I sent it off to be color-corrected and it will re-link, but the file looks like it did previously rather than being color corrected.

So I guess my question is how to do you re-link the missing files and make them appear color-corrected?

Oct 28, 2018 3:11 PM in response to Mary Margaret

Maybe you can explain your workflow in a bit more detail.

I am not that familiar with using external facilities for color correction.

I would expect you to relink to your original files. The color correction information should be part of the xml and not in the form of changed media files.

The correction would appear in the timeline of the imported xml project, not when playing clips in the browser.

So: did you receive new files together with the xml? It would seem so from the relinking failure message. If that is the case: what are the new media size and codecs, and do they play with the color correction?

Oct 28, 2018 3:39 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, I did receive new files with the XML, and that's where that 'incompatible file' message came from, I tried to re-link using the new color corrected files, now I realize that's not the way to do it.

But if I re-link an original file, even on the timeline it still looks like the original file, it doesn't appear color corrected. It's very strange.

Oct 29, 2018 1:21 AM in response to Mary Margaret

There should be no problem with relinking to the new files if they had been encoded in a similar way to the original ones. But assuming the information is correct they lack the audio.

If so I can see two ways of dealing with it: either you ask your colorist for a version that includes the audio or you try to manually build yourself a third version of the files. How many files are we talking about?

The manual procedure might go like this: 1) create a new library (to keep things clean)

2A) import all the original files using leave in place (no need for further copies).

2B) import all the color corrected files using leave in place

3) For each file: make a project add version A, connect version B on top, export (make sure you export video and audio) to make version C

You may want to do one file first and test to see if you can relink to version C.

XML won't Import to Final Cut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.