Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Mojave won't connect to HDMI projectors + monitors

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, running Mojave 10.14. When connecting the computer via USB-c to HDMI adapter to an Epson PowerLite 2030, no signal is detected. The computer knows it is connected to a projector, and the projector knows it is connected to the computer - but neither can speak to each other. Not only this, but signals sent to monitors become disrupted gray static. I have visited the Apple Store, but since the signal loss is on/off when it comes to monitors, they were unable to reproduce the problem.

This problem did not exist running high sierra.

This problem does not exist with Mac's pre-2017 with the same setup.

I have tried multiple adapters including Apples.

I have tried multiple HDMI cord including the best offered at the Apple Store.

I have tried numerous projectors and monitors.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2018 9:07 PM

Update: While I can not get a signal through any adapter, I found that a USB-C to HDMI cord does the trick. Here is the one I purchased and it is working like a charm. I still do not find it acceptable that adapters do not seem to be working with a normal HDMI cord so if anyone has anything to add - please do.

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2018 9:07 PM in response to CorSat9

Update: While I can not get a signal through any adapter, I found that a USB-C to HDMI cord does the trick. Here is the one I purchased and it is working like a charm. I still do not find it acceptable that adapters do not seem to be working with a normal HDMI cord so if anyone has anything to add - please do.

Nov 26, 2018 2:25 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I'm just trying to use the Apple usb-c to usb-c cable that came with the mba 2018 to connect it to the samsung usb-c monitor. Are you saying that the Apple usb-c cable doesn't support video over usb?

It seems like there's a compatibility issue or an issue with either the:

• Samsung monitor's usb-c port
  • the Apple usb-c cable
  • the mba 2018 usb-c port, or
  • the Mojave display settings

All are brand new so taking the mba and usb-c cable to apple to see if they can isolate the issue

Nov 12, 2018 1:11 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I’m having the same problem. 2016 MacBook Pro w/ TouchBar and an external monitor (Samsung TV).

Up until yesterday I had zero issues connecting via the HDMI port of a UBC-C dongle (multi-function) on Sierra. Updated to Mojave last night and discovered the problem when i tried to connect to TV.

Similar to the original post, the TV recognizes that something is connected (it changes from no cable connected to no signal when plugged in) and my MBP shows me options for resolution of the external and what not, but the signal is not being sent.

Answers or solutions??

Nov 14, 2018 8:26 AM in response to CorSat9

I've had this same problem. I'm on macOS Mojave (10.14.1), and here's what finally worked for me. I downloaded the DisplayLink driver v4.3 (beta 6) - restarted the computer, and voila. I'm on a 2017 iMac 5k, connected to a 4K UHD Samsung. Interesting note, according to their webpage, the permanent fix will be available in macOS 10.14.2. https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos

Nov 15, 2018 2:00 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

That I thought would support connecting an HDMI display without third party drivers.

Right – would, should, and did support... In my case, it did with Sierra/High Sierra and no longer does with Mojave.

I expect the OP to tell us if this fixed it; and I'd like to learn which exact dock you and the OP have.

Not the OP, but apparently the same problem. It did NOT fix it in my case. I don't completely understand what DisplayLink is and what it has to do with (if anything?) HDMI. I've never had to download drivers before when connecting via HDMI on any of my previous MCB's that had HDMI ports. Doesn't make any sense to me for that to change now.

Nov 15, 2018 2:32 PM in response to Shawn Hoffman

Apparently three people wrote in this thread about seemingly the same problem, and one of them mentioned displaylink as a solution.

It is unclear if this solution is at all relevant to the other two, because so far nobody has detailed what device is used to connect. For direct ubs-c to hdmi adapters, displaylink should be irrelevant, and there should be no need for installing any drivers. The displaylink thing has emerged in late versions of High Sierra because it was required for some people who were connecting displays via docks or adapters connected to USB-A ports on their macs. That feature was never supported in macOS without third party hacks.

Nov 19, 2018 6:15 AM in response to CorSat9

I have 3 external monitors all connected via HDMI. 1 x ASUS PB287Q 4K UHD (3840x2160) and 2 x ASUS PB278 (2560x1440). The 4K monitor works fine and one of the ASUS monitors work fine after upgrade to Mojave. The other one just refuses to come on. It's almost like the Mac has cached the EDID info and its corrupted or something and refuses to play nice. I've tried 4 different USB-C to HDMI dongles and 4 different cables. I've reset PRAM and SMC, still no luck. For the non-working monitor if I connect via DVI it works but then only at 1920x1080 and then intermittently blinks on and off every few minutes. I can connect another machine to the monitor via HDMI and it works just fine. It's something with this monitor and this Mac. It all worked fine prior to upgrading to Mojave. I may try downgrade to see if it fixes the issue.

Nov 25, 2018 6:24 AM in response to CorSat9

I have a similar issue with a MBA 2018 (Mojave 10.14.1) not detecting a USB-C Samsung S27H850 monitor.

The monitor charges the MBA through usb-c to usb-c and I can even sync my iPhone through the monitor's usb hub feature with a usb-a to lightning cable.

Using HDMI (with mini-dp to hdmi dongle) on my old 2011 MBA also works - but the MBA 2018 with Mojave 10.14.1 doesn't detect the external display

Nov 25, 2018 7:48 AM in response to tcwri

What I think is happening is that the adapter you are using is one of those unsupported that used to work with the displaylink software.

Instead of using the approved method to convert the video signal to hdmi, these rely on video over usb, which does not work.

If you can try one of the Apple, Belkin or Macally adapters with an HDMI port I think that will work.

Macbook Pro Mojave won't connect to HDMI projectors + monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.