Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Experiencing Unknown Error -3201 after Majove upgrade and unable to download purchases from iTunes, Any fixes?

Itunes Experiencing Unknown Error -3201 after Majove upgrade and unable to download purchases from iTunes, Any fixes?

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 7:57 PM

15 replies

Oct 22, 2018 7:11 AM in response to cefflo

Hi cefflo,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're experiencing an unknown error -3201 in iTunes after updating to macOS Mojave, and you're also having trouble downloading purchases from the iTunes Store. I know it's important to use iTunes to manage the content on your devices, as well as download purchases from the iTunes Store; I'd like to help. I'd recommend following the steps below to troubleshoot the error you're seeing:

When iTunes on your computer doesn't recognize your connected device, you might see an unknown error or a "0xE" error. If you do, follow these steps and try to connect your device again after each step:

1. Make sure that your iOS device is unlocked and on the Home screen.
  2. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes that works with your computer.
  3. Check that you have the latest software on your Mac or Windows PC.
  4. Make sure that your device is turned on.
  5. If you see a Trust this Computer alert, unlock your device and tap Trust.
  6. Unplug all USB accessories from your computer except for your device. Try each USB port to see if one works. Then try a different Apple USB cable.
  7. Restart your computer and iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
  8. Try connecting your device to another computer. If you have the same issue on another computer, contact Apple Support.

If you use a Mac

1. Connect your iOS device and make sure that it's unlocked and on the Home screen.
  2. On your Mac, hold down the Option key, click the Apple menu, and choose System Information or System Report.
  3. From the list on the left, select USB.
  4. If you see your iPhone, iPad, or iPod under USB Device Tree, uninstall third-party security software. If not, contact Apple Support.
    User uploaded file

If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Let me know if you're able to connect without an error after following these steps.

Can you also let me know what happens when you try to download a purchase from iTunes?

Best Regards.

Oct 22, 2018 9:39 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Well that is just the problem, error 3201 occurs only when attempting to download a purchase from iTunes on a iMac Pro, and has nothing to do with a connected device, iPhone or iPod. And only occurs after installing Mojave, used the MacBook Pro still using El Capitan to download the movies without a problem.

Oct 22, 2018 2:35 PM in response to cefflo

Hi cefflo,

It sounds like you're referring to downloading movies you've previously purchased. Next, use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode and test to see if you're able to download the affected purchases: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
If you're able to download without the error, restart your Mac normally and test again.

If the behavior continues in safe mode, I'd recommend that you sign out of iTunes on your Mac, restart, then sign back in and test to see if you can download the affected purchases:

On your Mac or PC

If you don't have iTunes on your computer, get the latest version of iTunes. Then follow these steps to sign in:

1. Open iTunes.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose Account > Sign In.
    User uploaded file
  3. Enter the Apple ID and password that you use with the iTunes Store. Then press the Return or Enter key on your keyboard or click Sign In.

In iTunes, you can edit your account information, change your payment method and see your purchase history. You can also browse and buy content like music, movies, TV shows, and more from the iTunes Store.

On a Mac, you can sign into the App Store and iBooks Store with the same Apple ID that you use in iTunes. After you open the app that you want to sign in to, choose Store > Sign In from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen.

Sign in to the iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV

If you continue to have trouble, I'd recommend that you reach out to Apple for further assistance: Contact Apple Support

Best Regards.

Oct 22, 2018 2:35 PM in response to cefflo

Hi cefflo,

It sounds like you're referring to downloading movies you've previously purchased. Next, use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode and test to see if you're able to download the affected purchases: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
If you're able to download without the error, restart your Mac normally and test again.

If the behavior continues in safe mode, I'd recommend that you sign out of iTunes on your Mac, restart, then sign back in and test to see if you can download the affected purchases:

On your Mac or PC

If you don't have iTunes on your computer, get the latest version of iTunes. Then follow these steps to sign in:

1. Open iTunes.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose Account > Sign In.
    User uploaded file
  3. Enter the Apple ID and password that you use with the iTunes Store. Then press the Return or Enter key on your keyboard or click Sign In.

In iTunes, you can edit your account information, change your payment method and see your purchase history. You can also browse and buy content like music, movies, TV shows, and more from the iTunes Store.

On a Mac, you can sign into the App Store and iBooks Store with the same Apple ID that you use in iTunes. After you open the app that you want to sign in to, choose Store > Sign In from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen.

Sign in to the iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV

If you continue to have trouble, I'd recommend that you reach out to Apple for further assistance: Contact Apple Support

Best Regards.

Nov 5, 2018 2:08 PM in response to ksegers

Make sure that your profile has full read and write permissions to the iTunes folder and all subfolders. Use Get Info on the iTunes folder in Finder. Click the lock at the bottom right to make changes. Make sure that Locked isn't ticked and that your own account has Read & Write access, then use the gear icon to Apply to enclosed items and confirm. Repeat with the media folder if on a different path.

User uploaded file

tt2

Oct 22, 2018 12:40 PM in response to cefflo

Hi ​cefflo,

Thank you for clarifying that this error only happens when trying to download a purchase and isn't related to a connected device. Can you let me know if this is content that you've previously purchased and you're trying to download, or does this happen with new purchases as well?

Is there any other text with the error message that you receive, or is it just "Unknown Error -3201?"

​Kind Regards.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.