Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I fix a Bing redirect on my Safari 12

My Safari 12 has been hijacked with Bing search engine

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 5:34 PM

Download this program which was written by Thomas Reed, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. There is no reason to leave it installed once troubleshooting is finished. The free version doesn't update itself. If you need it again, you can download it again.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2018 5:34 PM in response to Adwiz

Download this program which was written by Thomas Reed, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. There is no reason to leave it installed once troubleshooting is finished. The free version doesn't update itself. If you need it again, you can download it again.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

Nov 7, 2018 2:50 PM in response to fjosephs

I got hit with the same Bing redirect virus today and nobody seems to have any suggestions for dealing with it except for people recommending suspicious apps that look like more adware. Does anyone know of a simple fix, i.e. using Terminal to check for and remove the cause?

Oddly enough I use Intego VirusBarrier X9 and it doesn't seem to know about this virus but it's really annoying. No way to keep Google as the search engine. Switches automatically to Bing every time no matter what I do.

Nov 7, 2018 4:38 PM in response to Adwiz

Please remove all add-on security products, all performance-enhancing products, all barrier packages, all cache cleaners, all add-on firewall tools, all of it.

Please then download and invoke and cut-and-paste and post the output report from Etrecheck.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

FWIW, I took a quick look at the two “bing redirect virus” links posted earlier, and most of what’s posted at those isn’t particularly relevant to macOS, nor particularly helpful in their macOS suggestions. I’d also wonder if what’s downloaded from those sites wasn’t itself sketchy, too. Fake removal tools are fairly common.

Nov 8, 2018 10:35 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric. Malwarebytes did the job. It identified the culprit and I was able to remove the files from the Library folder. Oddly Intego VirusBarrier had previously identified the same files and even though I went through the process of selecting those files for quarantine and then selecting the delete option they remained in place. That's why I was so confused when the virus started affecting Safari.

Nov 8, 2018 12:02 PM in response to Eric Root

There are definitely Mac viruses, including the aforementioned Bing redirect virus I had to deal with. There has been Tojan horse malware like MacOSDefender. I’ve also run into apps that have a virus inadvertently embedded. Plus, Intego helps protect against other intrusions through the network and I’ve encountered a few of those over the years.

Dec 10, 2018 3:15 PM in response to Eric Root

Honestly I looked everywhere for a solution. I downloaded the link you posted, and it did a trial (lasts for like a week idk)... it scaned and them removed then prompted for a reboot. I scaned it again and now it's clean. I guess the Bing redirect thing is more just a pain in the ***. I don't know if it was a virus, everything else worked fine on my computer. But thanks, that was really cool of you. I'm going to uninstall the program now, but it worked for me

Dec 10, 2018 3:16 PM in response to fjosephs

@EricRoot

Honestly I looked everywhere for a solution. I downloaded the link you posted, and it did a trial (lasts for like a week idk)... it scaned and them removed then prompted for a reboot. I scaned it again and now it's clean. I guess the Bing redirect thing is more just a pain in the ***. I don't know if it was a virus, everything else worked fine on my computer. But thanks, that was really cool of you. I'm going to uninstall the program now, but it worked for me

How can I fix a Bing redirect on my Safari 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.