Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail freeze on "Prepare to move messages"

Mail has serious issues handling email messages between Folders (Mailbox created on "On My Mac")

User uploaded file

whatever number of messages we select to move from one Folder to another it freezes on "Preparing to move messages"and simply does not execute the order given by the user:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5), null

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2018 2:35 AM

I have found what was delaying Mail. I have turned off TimeMachine and it seems to have solved the Mail issues. From what I understood the TimeMachine is creating snapshots of the system and when Mail is handling vast amount of emails (importing, moving between folders, etc) it "gets stuck" with the TimeMachine snapshots.

For me it solved the issues with Mail: go to TimeMachine, remove tick on "Back Up Automatically", delete the pending timeshots in the system (waiting the TimeMachine Volume to be connected) by using the Terminal. Restart the system. Start Mail and repeat the operation with emails (importing, moving between folders, etc).

After all emails organized then you can go back to TimeMachine and add again the tick on "Back Up Automatically".

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2018 2:35 AM in response to c.morais

I have found what was delaying Mail. I have turned off TimeMachine and it seems to have solved the Mail issues. From what I understood the TimeMachine is creating snapshots of the system and when Mail is handling vast amount of emails (importing, moving between folders, etc) it "gets stuck" with the TimeMachine snapshots.

For me it solved the issues with Mail: go to TimeMachine, remove tick on "Back Up Automatically", delete the pending timeshots in the system (waiting the TimeMachine Volume to be connected) by using the Terminal. Restart the system. Start Mail and repeat the operation with emails (importing, moving between folders, etc).

After all emails organized then you can go back to TimeMachine and add again the tick on "Back Up Automatically".

Mail freeze on "Prepare to move messages"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.