Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I move scenes, audio shifts

Hi, When I was editing my movie, I was grabbing and shifting scenes (video/audio) thinking everything would be intact. I was wrong. The audio shifted in multiple places and I had to re-match/check 100's of audio clips.

I assume making a "compound clip" solves this problem, but when I go to break it apart the audio seems to be fine but ends up moving all up and down all over the place, which is not ideal, but may be the best solution?

Recently I moved some small sections of scenes in my trailer (without compound clip) and the same thing is happening even with these small sections....the audio is shifting and not matching the video clips.

Does anyone have this problem? And what would you suggest is the best method to move scenes in FCPX?

My Mac Book Pro is about 6 yrs old, and I cannot add more memory, so it gets a big sluggish with super large files.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

🙂Christine

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 22, 2018 6:44 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 22, 2018 7:14 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I drew a pic for now since I am not near that computer....

I matched all of my separate audio files (from my zoom recorder) to my video files (by matching to the camera audio inside the video file.

So basically, if I were to grab a scene (both video and audio files) and move it down the timeline, I would zoom in after I moved it, and I can see the audio clips have shifted. But since my audio tend to overlap other audio it gets tricky because I cannot tell if it shifted until I listen to the camera audio also.

User uploaded file

Oct 22, 2018 7:43 AM in response to CTKArtist

Did you use the sync clip function in FCP? Or are these just connected? Part of the problem might be that you can move audio, perhaps when you were aligning them, in subframe increments; but when you move video you have to move in full frame increments. This might make the audio appear to shift slightly. Try using the FCP sync clip function and se if the works for you.

Oct 22, 2018 7:54 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

aha! I think I see what you mean. The audio may slightly move to the start of a frame? Instead of a section of a frame that it just won't let you move to?

I didn't sync or connect anything (to keep things as simple as possible). I think I tried "auto syncing" when I first started but that function wasn't working so well for me so I manually matched up all my audio with my video to make sure it was perfect. I didn't connect the audio to video(do you mean compound clip?) because I was constantly adjusting the length of the audio to overlap with the audio clip before or after the next audio clip. Maybe there is a way to connect video to audio that I'm not aware of yet.

So do you think making a compound clip of each scene before I move it is a good option? Or will the same thing happen when I break apart the clip?

Oct 22, 2018 1:30 PM in response to CTKArtist

Not a great fan of compound clips except for effects. At this stage this might be your best option. The clips shouldn’t move inside the compound.

One thing you can do in the future is to open the clip from the browser and add the audio manually into the clip container. If you use the sync clip function you can open that clip and adjust the sync inside the clip container.

When I move scenes, audio shifts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.