Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Always Opens New Windows (⌘N in Tabs

This issue is about manually trying to open a new browser window, NOT a website creating a new window.

Since updating to Safari 12, trying to open a new browser window with the keyboard shortcut (⌘N) causes a new tab to open in the current window. (None of the options in the Tabs tab in Safari's preferences changes this behavior, and I have tried deleting the preference file.) Under the file menu, the shortcut for opening a new window is ⌥⌘N.

User uploaded file

This is not an issue on my desktop machine. I am running Mojave and wonder whether there is a new Safari or System Preference setting that might be causing this.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 5:24 AM

Check in System Preferences -> Dock that Prefer tabs when opening documents is set In Full Screen Only.

1 reply

Safari Always Opens New Windows (⌘N in Tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.